double standards?

how can people be OK for gay marriage and not polygamy? is that not a double standard? don't polygamist deserve the same rights as those who are gay and want the same rights of those who already have the right to marry.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• --myself. I can assure you that it is nothing to insult, and nothing to scoff at.

As for non-consenting children being involved, just where do you get off attributing such a thing to polygamy, and ignoring everything else? Children are forced into things every minute of every day. There are forced arranged marriages, there is incest, molestation and other forms of abuse, the child pornography trade, the child slave trade. It is VERY uncommon for children to be forced into a polyamorous marriage in the states. Do your research, please. Unbiased research.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 11:12 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I will take it further why can't consenting adults marry their siblings, cousins or parents? If you cannot help who you love which is the arguement why stop at gay marriage?
    Anonymous

• you can never please everyone
    Myni

Answer by Myni at 8:38 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• good point
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 8:38 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• The thing is with polygamy, a lot of those arranged marriages arent all consensual.
    Anonymous

• I was about to argue that this wouldn't be a double standard...but I think maybe you are right. To each his own, I guess.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 8:42 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• the only reason that i bring this up is each time something comes on the news about gays being hurt then the whole world needs to feel sorry for them. but when the government went in and took woman and children out of their homes because they daddy or husband had more then one wife it was warranted. and come to find out the incident with the 16 year old girl that made the supposed phone call has yet to be found. how would other families feel if some one came and took their loved ones and kids and would not let them have them back because of what they believed what right.
    Anonymous

• As long as everyone is consenting adults and know what the hell they are getting into, then I don't have an issue with it.
    I would never do it. Who in hell wants someone's sloppy seconds? Ugh.

Last I looked, marrying a cousin was not illegal. But parents and siblings? It's incest.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 8:44 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• No, because a marriage is between two consenting adults (or it should be), and polygamy is not. I suppose there could be gay polygamists as well. One thing does not have anything to do with the other.

Anonymous

• I don't care who you marry! As long as all the parties involved are consenting human adults, who cares.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 8:45 PM on Jun. 11, 2009