Have you read the entire Bible?

I was just reading an interesting blog, that brought up this topic. If you want to read the blog too, go here.

http://youmademesayit.blogspot.com/

But it's not necessary in order to answer the question. Also, please indicate if you are Christian, former Christian, or of another religion, or no religion.

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 8:49 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Here's the link if you wanted to read the blog posting.

http://youmademesayit.blogspot.com/

my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 8:50 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I have read the entire bible a few years ago! I don't remember a lotof it though nor did I understand everything in the bible! I have also heard that no matter how many times you read the bible you always learn something new or you get a different meaning from certain sections than you did the first time! I am a christian!!

SD777

Answer by SD777 at 9:01 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Read it appalled by it read parts of it two or three times over. No religion now.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:10 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Read it before I was a christian, didnt understand it , read it after, I have a lot of understanding of it now. Yes I have read through the bible several times. Its food and drink to my spirit.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:23 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I really loved the blog... thanks for the link! In answer to your question, I read the entire New Testament in high school. I have not read all of the Old Testament (do know some of the stories and have read passages, but not the whole thing.) I was going through a 'searching' phase at the time and read a lot relating to different faiths. I practice Buddhism, but must confess I have not read the entire Tripitake (Buddhist canon of sutras), in part because I have never found them all collected in one place. Unlike the Christian Bible, there is no one authoritative 'book' in Buddhism, there are instead a variety of sutras that have been added to over time.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:25 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Ooops- Tripitaka is the Buddhist canon... sorry for the typo!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:26 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I LOVE the Bible. So YES!!! I read it every year (for the last 12 years). And on top of that I also participate in a separate Bible study with the women's ministry at my church (this year it was James I,2,3 John, and 1,2 Peter). And I also write a Bible study for the High School girls at our church.

I love studying the Bible, and no matter how many times you read it, each day there is a new treasure for God in it, that gets you through the day!!!
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 9:59 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I read the blog and I am going to copy and paste a response I gave to a question last night that I would say again right here.

Me: "I have to say though, that before I was a Christian the Bible was a mystery to me. I could understand Shakespeare, Chaucer, and I could easily read Beowulf (so I wasn't a moron, lol). But the Bible is spiritual truth, and I couldn't fully understand it until I accepted the Lord and recieved the Holy Spirit. Sometimes I take it for granted, how easy it is for me to understand. And I forget that its spiritual truths and prophesies are still a mystery for even some really really smart people.

"When He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth." John 16:13
    "We are of God. He who knows God hears us; he who is not of God does not hear us. By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error." 1 Jn 4:6
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:01 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Me cont.: "And this last verse talks about how the natural man (someone who is not born again) cannot understand the Bible like a believer.

"But God has revealed [them] to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God. These things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy [fn] Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

"But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know [them], because they are spiritually discerned . . .

For "who has known the mind of the LORD that he may instruct Him?" [fn] But we have the mind of Christ." 1 Corinthians 2:10-16
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:02 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Well, I believe I have over the years. The problem I have, is I'm not one to sit down and start with Genesis and go all the way through to Revelation in order. I skip around reading one of the books here, and a different one there. But, overall, I probably have read the entire Bible. I guess my favorites are Psalms and Proverbs. I am Christian...grew up in a Baptist Church, but didn't really accept Jesus as my Savior until I was 22 years old and on my knees with nowhere to go but up. Thank God He was there with me. Thank God He didn't give up on me. By His grace I am saved.
    Sorry...didn't mean to sound preachy or anything....
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 10:41 PM on Jun. 11, 2009