• In the Spotlight:

I may get my butt jumped for this but ...

Ok, as the title says... ya'll may think I'm a narrow-minded, doesn't-give-a-s***- about humanity redneck, but here goes... I was in Walmart today and a girl in line in front of me had a whole basket full, literally overflowing and she paid for it ALL with a Lone Star card (TX food stamps) Here's my complaint... she had alot of CRAP in her buggy (snackcakes, chips. etc) How is it right that my husband and I can't have government help at ALL bc of his income but people like this can go through Walmart and buy this much stuff, junk no less and name brand junk! Shouldn't there be a limit on what you can buy, such as milk, eggs, bread, fruit, healthy stuff? Our taxes pay for this?? I was really mad! My husband I live paycheck to paycheck and the government offers us nothing. I am not begrudging gov't help I had Medicaid for my daughter but got off of it ASAP! I just had to get this off my chest. Any comments/insults are welcome

Bella0308

Asked by Bella0308 at 8:53 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• WOW, I did not know you could buy that stuff on assistance. I thought it had to be somewhat healthy. I think it would be best if it only covered healthy (or some what healthy stuff) so the kids could get some good nutrition. Also, that stuff is expensive, it would be great if it covered better food so the taxpayers could get a better bang for their buck!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 8:57 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Unfortunately Bella, it's all still considered food. As long as they get nourishment, that is all that matters. We cannot judge what others chose to eat.
    Anonymous

• My only question is, why are people who are slightly better off so damn critical about what poor people do with their lives??? Maybe I shouldn't be on here because internet isn't a necessity.....but you know, MENTAL health is just as important. There's no point in continuing, to me, if your life is total poverty and depression. I say anything that gives a poor person a little bit of joy should be allowed.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 8:58 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• The problem with your way of thinking is that you are looking at the healthy foods, but those are very expensive. Buying junk is cheaper and you can actually make your dollar stretch further. I am sorry, but fresh fruits are outrageous!
    Anonymous

• I think that to myself when I see a cart full of junk food regardless of their financial situation..but I keep it to myself.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 8:58 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Honestly...junk food is cheaper, and keeps a family full longer. I hate to say it, but when money is that limited most people will do whatever to keep everyone full.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:00 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• That's a good point too, anon :58.....I've found out lately how much more expensive it is to try to eat healthy :(
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 9:00 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• well yeah there are people like that, but look at it this way, if you're on food stamps can you imagine not being able to get certain "treats" for yourself or your children? she obviously isn't healthy, but if my kids wanted some cookies or ding dongs and i was on food stamps, i'd like to be able to give them treats without the government telling me i have to feed them fruit all the time
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:00 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• For all you know she could have been having a party or something. I do understand that people should buy food wisely when given the money to do so, but I don't believe in being so quick to assume the worst about someone. And I also don't believe that just because someone needs help it means they're not allowed chips or soda every now and again, or at all. Its not my place to judge what someone else does anyway. What they eat is their business....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:03 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Junk food is not cheaper! Basic ingredients to cook healthy meals is the much cheaper route. Someone can go to the farmers market and spend 30 dollars for enough veggies for 2 weeks, 30 dollars buys a couple days worth of junk. It used to be that you could only buy healthy stuff on foodstamps, but now they allow anything. What a joke!
    luvmybabieskna

Answer by luvmybabieskna at 9:04 PM on Jun. 11, 2009