What is it with my son and baths?

My son, age 7, loves showers but doesn't like to use soap or shampoo. I have to have my husband help him bathe so he uses it. Is this normal behavior for children? A "stage" or something he is going through?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My sons are 8 & 5 and they are the same way. The run to the bathroom whenever I say it's bath or shower time, but I have to be like the Soap Nazi to get them to use it. They seem to think that water alone will wash everything away. I think it's a boy thing.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:03 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• my daughter is the same way! shes way younger though shes 2, so i dont know about that, but she hates when i use her soap on her, shes yells at me "mommy my eyeballs" when im washing her feet or something! it drives me nuts, especially since im not even near her eyeballs!
    Anonymous

• LOL!! I'm sorry but that made me laugh "mommy my eyeballs" I can just see it!! LOL
    Anonymous

• LOL. Agreed. Thought it was just me. My 5.5 yo loves baths and showers, but could care less about soap and shampoo. He seems to think it's too much of a chore AND that he's too big for mommy or daddy to wash him. so we struggle. I think they believe water is all the cleaning they need.
    Anonymous

• Does he really need soap and shampoo?

Answer by rkoloms at 4:38 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• (In answer to rkoloms)

Yes, actually, he does or he smells terribly. He sweats for nothing, even in the winter. He needs it, trust me.
    Anonymous

• Has he gotten it in his eyes maybe??? try going back to tear free or maybe a boys body wash
    edenmoseley

Answer by edenmoseley at 4:46 AM on Jun. 15, 2009