How do you reach out and help make the world a better place?

I am listening to the radio right now (I always listen to KKLA while I make dinner), anyways the topic is how because of the economy children overseas are losing their sponsorship. I guess 8,000 World Vision Children have lost their sponsors and are being dropped from the program. I don't know if you sponsor world vision children or if you want to (now would be a good time).

But we always talk about wanting to make a difference in the world, and I am just wondering what organizations you contribute to and recommend? If not, what is stopping you?

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 9:43 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I know your question was about donating money, goods and time to organizations but I also think we have to be careful that we don't forget individuals. It can mean something as simple as befriending someone who is lonely. One of the greatest gifts you can give is a listening ear. And remember it is easy to assume that those who look like they are doing fine really are, but it isn't always true. I know many an affluent family that is struggling. So invest in people too.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 10:38 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I believe on trying to help the world from the inside out. I donate old clothes and other items to the local homeless shelter here in town. I also shop at their Salvation Army Thrift store.

How can America help others when there are children right here at home that are starving?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:46 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I personally contribute to Gospel For Asia. I have met the founder K.P. Yohannan; he is a man of integrity. I respect him probably more than anyone I know. Anyways, I love this organization because 100% of the money you contribute goes to the field. And you can designate how you want them to use the money. You can decide if you want to give toward various humanitarian needs (food, water, medical, schools) or evangelical (gospel tracts, Jesus films, churches, missionary support). It is an amazing ministry.

I was just thinking today that I should try and cut back around here so we could afford to give more.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 9:48 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I am very much like "outstandinglove" I try to help from within ... we give as often as we can to humanitarian orgs., but I also believe that we need to focus on our own backyard first...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I also sponsor a child through World Vision...a precious 9 yr old boy from South Africa =)
    brittmuffin

Answer by brittmuffin at 9:52 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I am with outstandinglove. I donate my time and money to the shelters directly. I help our gay teens who are in crisis by donating my time and money. Hey help out anyway you can. Even if it is just holding someones hand who is frightened.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:05 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I also contribute to GFA. Then most of my contribution is donations of our old but still good stuff to the rescue mission store. Lately Paul (DH) has been shopping at the disabled vetrens store and salvation army. We get great deals and they get a little money.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 10:34 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• That is so awesome you guys. I totally believe we each have different callings. God gives us each a different "burden" or area of ministry that we have a heart for.

I was just reading this morning in the book of Acts and the early church was having problems because they couldn't all, do it all. And they had to divide the areas of ministry. Some were to pray and teach the word. Others were to give themselves to social work. Everyone found their place to serve and help, and they were glad. (Acts 6:2-7).
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:36 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• That is so true teamquinn
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:40 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I encouraged my son to go on an earthquake relief trip, he is in Costa Rica right now (His idea)helping. Also, if I see people here (a homeless man last week who had a sign "Need work for food"), I went to the store and got him two bags of food/ water. He did tell me he needed a job to feed his kids, and I told him where our church was down the road. If everyone would just help out, it would be a better world!
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 10:48 PM on Jun. 11, 2009