Help! with disciplining my 5 year old!

I recently had a baby and it has been an adjustment for my 5 year old. He starts school this September and I am concerned about his behavior and how he will adjust. I am consistant with discipline and I do not get in control battles with him. BUT I am having to discipline him all day long and I feel that the majority of my interaction with him is negative. Is this a stage or do I just have a defiant child? Can anyone give me advise on what works for them?

jljeni

Asked by jljeni at 9:56 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sounds like hes just acting out about the baby, not being the center of attention is tough...being consistent with discipline is important and you say you are, but at this time, try to make sure you praise him for the little things he IS doing right!!!! make sure you still encourage him and pay him special attention too. you might feel like you do but maybe you say or do things to affect him that you havent picked up on. also if you havent try to get him to help you with the new baby so he feels included to. school will probably be a good outlet for him, he'll have plenty of kids his age to play with!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 10:00 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Have you tried setting up some 1:1 time with him? Ours went through this at 3 years old and itwas an adjustment. Seemed she took it out on us, not the baby, thank goodness.

Just remember to keep a kind tone. You don't have to respond immediately, count to ten.

When he's going to sleep, right when he closes his eyes, before he's totally out, tell him how much you love him or about something special he did. People's subconscious is very receptive at this point, I've heard. But what can it help.

Oh, another thing I've learned now that ours is 5, say your sorry if you make a mistake.

Good luck. I always had to ask my hubby, "Am I bad mom to her?" And that's when I realized I had to take it down a notch.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 10:34 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• If you can I would give him a personal day just you and him maybe once a week where he can choose where you eat and maybe go to the park, library, or even try to find a place where you and him can do some pottery or some hands on activity and then through the week make him feel important by giving him special chores and then make his special day once a week as long as he has behaved and maybe give a small allowance like 5.00 and then he can use that on his special days with his special mommy who also needs a day out.
    Blessed53131

Answer by Blessed53131 at 10:35 PM on Jun. 11, 2009