How soon did you start adding cereal to your newborns bottle?

My daughter is 5 weeks old and she eats 4 oz. about every 2 hours. I can't help but wonder if giving her some cereal would satisfy her better. The doctor says that you shouldn't start giving cereal until they are 4 months old.

MyraW

Asked by MyraW at 10:00 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it wont. my LO just started eating cereal in her bottle and shes 4 months. some doctors say give baby's rice cereal if they have really bad reflux. i say that if your LO doesnt have reflux, i would wait until at least 4 nd a half to 5 months to give her cereal. giving it to her too early can give her a really bad tummy ache or even consipation.
    Anonymous_J

Answer by Anonymous_J at 10:06 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• yes you wait until 4 months....in a bowl...never put cereal in the bottle. I have been told by numerous doctors, family members who are doctors, specialists, nutritionist etc. that you NEVER put cereal in a babys bottle. It can go to their ears (don't ask me) and give them ear infections, cause digestive problems, and they can choke. There are some other bad things about it too that I can't think of right now. I am sure that people are going to say it is okay to do it but oh well. Try giving her 6 ounces if she will take it. She may not be getting enough to eat. If she is on formula and giving her 6 ounces doesn't work then you may need to switch to another formula. Find one that is more filling to her. If you are breastfeeding then you can try to feed her more or you can choose to give her formula along with the breastmilk. Talk to her doctor about it. Her 6 week appt should be coming up soon right?
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:08 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I did it for a few weeks with my dd when she was 4 months, but she had really bad reflux. If you're baby isn't having reflux problems then I would recommend waiting until 6 months to start cereal and other solids.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 10:09 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• i did REALLY early..i was told too...he was almost 6 weeks...he was fine...everyone on here has really different opinions on this, and this question has gotten ugly lol..you could always try it..it wont hurt, if she spits it back up dont do it again, but putting half a table spoon in her 4oz bottle wont hurt. have you tried giving her more milk than that in her bottle?! is she still hungry afterward!? o and if you give her cereal make sure its single grain, the other stuff is too thick and heavy!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 10:24 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Both my kids had cereal in their bottles early. Daughter had reflux. My son was just plain hungry. When he was 3 months old we had about 1/4 cup of cereal in his bottle, it was thick, but he wouldn't accept a spoon and would choke on it that way.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:26 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I started my kids at 4 months mixed cereal in a bowl a bit of a thick consistancy and just kept pusing it in their mouth of course gently but they slept through the night after giving them 1 teaspoon I know that doesn't sound like alot but it did help.
    Blessed53131

Answer by Blessed53131 at 10:29 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I made the mistake of giving my oldest cereal in his bottle when he was only 2 months old( with my expressed breast milk) and it constipated him HORRIBLY!! With my second, the pedi recommended I pump my milk and put it in a bottle with cereal because of his reflux. I didn't feel comfortable with that, since he was only a month old and because of my experience with my first. Maybe you could try increasing the amount of formula ( or breastmilk, I don't know what you're using) that you give. A 5 week old's digestive system isn't mature enough to handle cereal yet. How is her weight? If she's growing properly, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's normal for a 5 week old to eat every 2 hours.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 10:42 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Dont start until at least four months unless instructed by a doctor and dont put it in a bottle (unless a doctor tells you, for instances when they're too young to be spoon fed).
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:42 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• FIRST OF ALL NEVER PUT CEREAL IN THE BOTTLE UNLESS ADVISED BY A DOCTOR. 4 MONTHS IS A GOOD STARTING POINT FOR SOME BABIES BUT NOT ALL...SPOON FEEDING IS MESSY SOMETIMES HARD AT FIRST BUT ITS REALLY FUN...
    kim_powell69

Answer by kim_powell69 at 10:58 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• 5 weeks is still so little and they have tiny tiny little tummies. They are supposed to eat frequently. Just be patient, she will eat more and go for longer periods of time in between them with time.....
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 11:32 PM on Jun. 11, 2009