Do you take stuff that has a FREE sign on it or is sitting on the curb next to a trash can if you can use it?

yup i have and still do i draw the line at actaully going into the garbage can but i live close to alot of colleges and the kids always throw out good stuff or put it up for free why let it go to waste if i can use it.. if i question wheter it is free or not i will either ask ( Ive never been told no its not) or leave it.. but if it obivuosly free i will take it

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 10:03 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Shopping

• I always sit stuff out at my curb- end tables, boxes of toys,clothing, whatever. If they want it, they can have it. That's why I do it. Funny story about an end table we just did that with, we got it the same way!
    Anonymous

• yeah i would...I havent had to or seen anything of use but If its obviously free than why nnot
    Anonymous

• oh heck yeah! i'm constantly scouting the curbsides for unwanted wood furniture items (chairs especially, that need new seating or caning)..i love refinishing wood, and i'm learning how to make new/creative seating/cushions/leathering/caning where its needed.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:09 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Sure do!! Not often, but I've found some great stuff that way! My cousin is a professional "garbage picker" though. She knows when all the "rich" neighborhoods have their bulk trash days and drives through in their beat-up truck and loads it up! Now SHE has found some really great stuff!! She'll even get stuff she can't use and sell it. One mans trash is another mans treasure, I guess!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 10:44 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• It's kinda the culture out here- and I'm perfectly cool with it. I took a big, sturdy rectangular wooden table to use in my laundry room from the curb- works great for us :)
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 10:45 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My mom put her and dad's old patio furniture out by the road one Sunday morning. It's kind of a ranch, and she and dad were out working all day, in sight of the road. People slowed down, but no one stopped. But when mom woke up Monday morning it was gone. Someone had been too shy to get it while they were out there, but had come back in the night. She was so happy though, to think someone could use it!
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 10:48 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Oh- and I used to go through the book "dumpsters" at my college... you know, where people throw the books the school doesn't buy back. I would take a bunch of good-looking books and check their prices on amazon.com. If it was worth it, I'd sell them, and if not, I'd put 'em back in the dumpster!
    I paid for the whole next semester's load of books by doing that once!
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 10:50 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• yep, i sure will. why throw something inthe landfill that still has use for someone else.
    devonsmom

Answer by devonsmom at 8:20 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Hell yeah... we live in a pretty ritzy neighborhood and the neighbors across the street from us set a perfectly good dell desktop computer out on the curb the evening before trash day. I walked over and asked if they were getting rid of it. They said yes and when I asked what was wrong with it they said it ran slow so they went and bought a new one! So my husband and I brought it home, along with some NICE speakers, mouse, keyboard and a nice monitor. Dh is very computer savvy so he went and restored the computer to all of it's original settings, wiped it completely clean, downloaded Linux on it and added more memory and it runs fantastic and my kids got a computer for FREE!!
    paralegalmommy

Answer by paralegalmommy at 2:22 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• In Austin we try to be very go green and consider this as doing each other and the ecosystem a favor! No one considers it trashy here and if they do the Hell with them! Most neighborhoods here will have a day dedicated to putting items to the curb for this reason.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Jun. 14, 2009