Allergy rash?!

This afternoon my DD woke up with very large hives (I beleive) on her body. When i say large I mean one was the size of almost her whole back. And her eye was very swollen almost shut. She has had allergy problems in the past with the swelling of the eye and hives but normal small ones, and with Benadryl they go away shortly. Right away I washed her up and gave her benadryl and shortly after got her in the car to go to the ER just incase. By the time we were seen (about 2 hr later) the one on her face had disappeared and the one on her back was a shade lighter. They gave us a steroid (prelone i think) and sent us home. Today I should mention was just an ordinary day. She was at my mom's during the day ate things she normally eats didnt go in a diff enviornment or anything. Nothing has changed at all. When we got home I gave her a shower, got her changed and she layed down for a nap. She woke up about 1hr later with almost no

OliviasMommy614

Asked by OliviasMommy614 at 10:19 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• hives and the ones she did have were getting smaller and lighter. She started itching the one on her chest and it seemed to get larger. Shortly after I changed her clothes and she had 2 new ones, 1 on each leg, not as large as the ones she had before but atleast softball size. Seeing as she was due for her benadryl again I gave her another dose and gave her another shower. Got her jammies on and it seems to be getting a little better. I understand these are probably from some type of hive but they are confusing. I am totally clueless on what they are from since she was tested for allergies last week. I dont understand why they went away but then came back in different spots. Is it spreading/moving? Is it still in her system and since the benadryl wore off it gave it a chance to come back? I am very confused, the ER Dr didnt say much and neither did the allergy Dr last week. how can I prevent this?
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 10:23 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• by the way she is a few days away from being 2yrs old
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 10:24 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Try getting her tested? I'm sorry! Ours is allergic to cats and it causes an asthmatic reaction. It's horrible, hives, coughs, yuck.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 10:36 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Ya she did get tested when we went to the allergy Dr last week, they didnt find anything but dogs. My parents do have dogs but she doesnt roll around with them or anything. And they have bothered her before, but never like this only minor things and minor breathing problems. But why its confusing is because if it was due to the dogs why would she still have new ones later on at home if she was showered with new clothes on and we dont have dogs.
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 10:44 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Just a thought, have you changed your laundry detergent ( new or improved concentrate ) or conditioner lately? Or a new washing machine? I know you mentioned the Allergy Dr, was that an immunologist? around 2 years is when their little bodies start to go a little off the rails with allergies etc. Not a huge fan of using steroids with toddlers, these often make it worse before it gets better particularly with skin ailments.
    ElleinOz

Answer by ElleinOz at 11:47 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Do you have an epipen for her?

Answer by rkoloms at 8:09 PM on Jun. 12, 2009