Do you let your child watch DVD's in the car?

I have let my 3.5 year old watch our DVD player one time because we took a trip and she was getting very tired of sitting in her seat so I let her watch a movie. But parents that let their kids watch the DVD player every time they get in the car drives me nuts! I like having this time to talk to my daughter or sing! MY best friend lets her son and she spends most of her time in the car trying to put DVD's in and trying to avoid wrecking!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• I let my kids watch dvds in the van. They must decide on one movie to watch - I will not trade it out for another during the drive. I don't see anything wrong with it, especially when they are educational ones from the library. They have a great selection.
    happy1mom

Answer by happy1mom at 10:47 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I would never let my kids watch DVDs in the car. For me the car is time for music if anything. We have cds that we can all sing along with. If we are on trips there are so many games to play on the road. I guess I am old fashion.
    Anonymous

• I used to let my son watch DVD's, until I lost the charger. LOL!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:52 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Only if we are going on long trips = 2+hrs. Our van has a built in dvd player.

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 10:59 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I let them watch movies if it is a longer trip. My dad lives 1 1/2 hours away and my sister lives 2+ hours away so if the boys want they can watch a movie during the drive. Generally my oldest son (almost 11) prefers to read, so my two younger may watch one, but it really depends. My middle likes to play car games (finding the alphabet on road signs). My youngest who is 3 is a great traveller, he always has been. Only once on a 4+ hour drive (that took even longer due to my oldest being sick and having to stop so he could puke) did he watch a movie. But he usually plays with some cars or watches the scenery, he's always on the lookout for "big trucks!"
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:24 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• We are old fashioned as well. We refuse to buy one. The car is for talking. For long car drives there are lots of games to be played and music to listen too. When I was 8 my family (parents, two brothers and I) took a month trip and drove to California and back. We were in the car for at least 6 hrs a day if not more at times. We all survived, got along and have wonderful memories. TV was not needed.
    Anonymous

• Only on a road trip otherwise kids get enough tv time! I love to use the time to talk, or play games, like who can find "this" or that. And ask my dd about her school day!
    bablondie

Answer by bablondie at 11:38 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Yes I do let my daughter watch DVD's in the car. Unless its just like a 10 minute trip. She gets to pick one dvd, we do not change it while we are driving and if it goes off, it goes off. It's not like it adds hours a day or anything, and it's keeping her entertained. We always talk about the DVD also while it's playing so its not like I'm just ignoring her or anything.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:41 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• i would if we were gonna be in the car for longer than 2 hrs..but anything else no..i love singin in the car, and chatting with her.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:58 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• only for long trips. 45 min +
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:49 AM on Jun. 12, 2009