Babys kidney...

My doctor recently told me that my sons kidney has a collection of fluid in it and that the tube is dialated.
I know nothing about kidneys. What does he mean? What caused this?
He said that when he sees it, it normally works itself out but that they recommend me carrying full term in order to allow it to correct itself.
But what happens if it doesnt?
I have one of the top doctors in the state and he does answer my questions but then, when I try to replay what was said, I can't. I feel like an idiot asking again.
Has anyone else had this happen with their baby?

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 10:45 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• With my 2nd daughter they seen at one of my ultrasounds that she had a dilated renal pelvis. That's the area inside the kidney, where the fluid was collecting and not draining all the way. My dr. said that it would be something to watch after I had my daughter and that it usually corrects itself. I of course was still worried but I delivered her without any problems. They did an ultrasound after she was born & ended up putting her on antibiotics as a precautionary measure in case of infection. A few months after that they sent me to UofM Hosp for more testing and to see a specialist. They ran a test to see how her kidney was draining into her bladder (not fun seeing your baby strapped to a table with a catheter in her). And we found out that the bladder wasn't backing up & that both kidneys were working at just about the same rate, which was good news. She's now 14mos old & will be having a follow-up ultrasound next mo.
    princesspalace

Answer by princesspalace at 12:03 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Here's an article I found on it also that explains it pretty well:
    http://www.sdhct.nhs.uk/patientCare/pil/23613.pdf?last_updated=30%2F03%2F2007

Good luck & try not to worry too much (I know it's easier said than done). :)
    princesspalace

Answer by princesspalace at 12:04 AM on Jun. 12, 2009