Potty Training at 14 Months

I want to start potty training my soon to be 14 month old but my partner says I'm crazy and he is too young. My brothers and sisters and I were all potty trained before 24 months so I figure why can't my son be also. Anyone out there potty trained their little one this young or am I just crazy for even thinking about it?

JDalila

Asked by JDalila at 10:48 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes, your crazy. Don't rush something like that. Let him be a baby.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 10:49 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• All kids are different. Ohhh and if you push something they aren't ready for they will resist.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:07 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I think it's a little crazy, but I have heard of people potty trainig early. I am sure you can get a book on it. Good Luck.
    lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 11:28 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Well, I think if your child is into it, and it's not a stressful thing, then go for it, it can't hurt to try. But if your LO is scared of the potty/feels pressured/cries/refuses, etc. then it's time to stop.

Also, don't expect a lot, it's very very early, but I've heard of kids PLing at 15 months, so it's possible.

Like I said, don't force it and keep it a fun thing.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 11:50 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• well I don't think your crazy! my 3rd child was potty trained before he was 24 months.. I think it just depends on how your child feels , maybe you should try just putting some undys on him once in a while , see how he reacts to it .. but just be ready for the lil mess that comes with that too..lol
    and then just lil by lil start taking him into the potty and sitting him down so he can start getting the idea about it. im not saying that he will be potty trained before he gets 24 months but at least he will know what the potty is for and then when ever he is ready he will know what to do!
    Marcy6

Answer by Marcy6 at 1:31 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Yes you are crazy, yes it's too young! Okay, well maybe you are not crazy, you know your child. But take it from me...I tell ALL my friends with kids this...

The sooner you start, the longer it takes! They will do it when they are good and ready. Most kids are ready around age 2, boys tend to be closer to 3. If you start at 18 months (like I did) then you might be training for 6 months, like me. Right at her 2nd birthday it was suddenly all her choice, all her doing. She suddenly wanted to do it and it was easy. I should have never tried to train her. If I would have just stared at 2, it probably wouldn't have taken but a few weeks. Just wait until your child gives all the signs they are ready, and 14 months is too young for them to even know their body's cues. Being potty trained is not all it's cracked up to be. Those tiny bladders don't hold much and once they are out of diapers, when they say peepee, you better run.
    Chick

Answer by Chick at 1:33 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• i thinks thats kinda soon.my son is 16 months and i tried the potty and he wouldnt . i think 2 is a good age..
    steph17

Answer by steph17 at 7:09 PM on Jun. 12, 2009