How do you show your child to respect their mom?

My son will be 4 soon, in November, he does not listen when i ask him to do something so then i will tell him to do it and he yells back at me. I don't believe in hitting so I use timeout. It is not working anymore.

stprice

Asked by stprice at 10:49 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• And that's when i spank him. ...but you dont spank.

hmmm. you might try making him do some of the thins you do. Make him do the laundry, wash the dishes, clean the house ect ect.. Anything that he can do, make him do it. I dont mean to perfection and i dont mean like a slave either. ...but he might appreciate you more if he gets a better understanding that you dont get to play all day like he does.

i dont know if that will really work though. ...good luck.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:53 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I have always found the 1/2 year to be tough. I think you've got a case of bad threes and it'll turn around when he's four and a couple months. But I would lay the law down now. Put him in time out every time he's disrespectful and get to his level, lock eyes and explain it's unacceptable and you don't treat people that way. Do it over and over, raise your voice a little but really be consistent with all these steps. When all else fails, watch Super Nanny, seriously, I am embarrassed to say, it helped us.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:56 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Are you maybe overusing time out? When he yells don't loose your cool but get down on his level and look him square in the eye and in a firm voice tell him 'you do not yell at me'. You have to let him know that you are the parent and he is the child. Also with asking he may believe that he has the choice of doing the task or not don't ask tell. (It's time to clean up. It is time for bed. and don't end with 'okay' because then it becomes a question understand is better) You may have to take away some of the priviledges you give him (tv, toys,outside play time). hope this helps
    nateandlo

Answer by nateandlo at 11:05 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• When my son was 3.5 he really didn't care about time out, or taking toys away, or really even spankings. He only responded to positive reinforcement. that was very frustrating, but true. I didn't let him get away with disrespect, there was always a eye to eye conversation and a time out, but what really helped was using behaivor charts and handing out stickers and at the end of the week he got a toy. Now that he's 5, I see respect, and I think it's just because I did the same things over and over (and over).
    pat7879

Answer by pat7879 at 11:28 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• you need to prove othim your in charge. dont ask him to do something. TELL HIM STERNLY. you are the parent..not his best friend....you either assert authority or he will walk all over you
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 12:17 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Respect is something that is very difficult to teach a child unless you start at a remarkably young age. When my son thinks he can get away with yelling at me or balling his fists up and growling at me i imediatly drop to my knees look him square in the eyes and say "boy i'm your mother and if you do that one more time i'm going to send you to your room." in a very firm voice, then he usually follows with a "i'm sorry mommy" or a "yes ma'am" and he gives me a hug and kiss and its over. I'm not saying thats going to solve your problem and it'll be that easy because its not my son will be 3 at the end of his month and i've been on him about respecting me since he was 1. It took a long time to get where we are now but just be persistant, dont give in, dont baby him, and stand firm very firm!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Jun. 14, 2009