8 wk old cries alot. Doesn't sleep in the daytime unless mom holds him.

What do I do? Everything seems to startle this little guy. I put him in his swing and it does lull him to sleep but he doesn't stay asleep. Is this typical for 2 month old babies. I guess I had the same issues with DS#1 but I don't remember anymore. I know that I used to place him down to sleep and he would wakeup too but now pitch a fit like his brother does. DS #2 appears to be a lot more sensitive than my first son. He is quite affection, I can see this already, he melts like butter just hearing mommies voice, nose rubs, kisses on the cheek and lips. He loves this more than his bottle I sware!

PatricksMama07

Asked by PatricksMama07 at 10:52 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The only advice I have would be to either deal with holding him all the time, maybe buy a sling so you can have your hands free and give him the comfort and closeness he needs to feel safe, or you can opt for the let him cry it out method. If you do that he'll at some point stop crying and pass out without you, but it takes time and can cause you to loose your mind. I just held my baby all the time, of course, that made me crazy lol... guess either way you're stuck being crazy haha. Good Luck!
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 11:00 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• WELL IT SOUNDS LIKE HE IS HAVING A HARD TIME WITH HIS OWN SECURITY...IM NOT REALLY SURE HOW TO EASE THIS BUT AT LEAST HE ENJOYS YOU...MY FIRST DAUGHTER WAS INDEPENDENT FROM DAY 1 IT SEEMED.. THIS NEW ONE IS NOT.. SHE WAS VERY CLINGY BUT IN A SWEET WAY... AS THEY GET OLDER IT BECOMES EASIER TO LET GO A LIL BIT MORE AND LET THEM CRY A LIL.. BUT I STILL CATCH MYSELF FALLING FOR SOME BABY TRICKS... LOL MY BABY IS 7 1/2 MONTHS OLD AND SHE STILL HAS MOMENTS WHERE SHE JUST WONT RELAX UNLESS IM RIGHT THERE...THIS PROBABLY DIDNT HELP MUCH.
    kim_powell69

Answer by kim_powell69 at 11:06 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Could he be coliky? Maybe lactose inollerant? My ds was only happy if I was holding him. He was like that for the first 6 months. Nothing wrong with holding him all the time, as far as getting stuff done, I agree with the pp and the sling.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 11:08 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• The AAP advises against CIO for a baby under 6 or 7mo.

I would get a Moby or a Mei Tai so you can give him the closeness he needs while being able to move around and use your hands.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:15 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Ditto what happytexas said (only CIO should never be used, imo)
    He is still very young! Hold him or wear him in a sling.
    EiEiO

Answer by EiEiO at 11:30 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• get gripe water
    jagrus

Answer by jagrus at 11:48 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Maybe he still needs to be swaddled while he sleeps. Some babies still need that security.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 11:55 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Sling like the other Moms said. I wore my twins in a sling till almost 4 months.It's sooo worth it to make them relax.
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 11:57 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• If he needs to be held hold him as much as possible. Try a sling...I really liked the ring sling for when she was just born.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:02 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I had a similar problem with my son (now 9 months) what i used to do is let him fall asleep in my arms and make sure he was completely asleep (like 15-20min) then slowly lay him down, and if he started to wake up i'd put him back up against me and rock him for a few more minuets then try again. I also found that swaddling in a blanket, nice a snug would help him stay asleep. It is possible its colic, or something else. He is still too young for the CIO method, he needs to feel the security he does with you. Give it some time, he'll grow out of it.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 12:15 AM on Jun. 12, 2009