Can teething cause a runny nose?

Gauge is cutting teeth. His temp goes up and down. He's got the poops. But hes got a runny nose and he's grabing at his ear. Is it from the teething or is it a cold/ear infection? Just wondering so I dont have to make the doctor trip just yet.

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 10:55 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't have any super sound medical advice to offer up, I just know that every time my ten month old son, James, cuts a tooth he is insanely cranky and has a runny nose. His temp even goes up and down on the really tough ones. As for the ear, if he doesn't seem to be in pain, he likely just discovered it and is playing with it. But follow your instinct, mommy does know best!
    McErin48

Answer by McErin48 at 11:08 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• If he's grabbing his ears & has a temp then it might be an ear infection. I'd take him in to Doc just to be on safe side .
    LatinMamiOf2

Answer by LatinMamiOf2 at 10:58 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I agre. Take him to the doc to see if it's an Ear Infection.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:02 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I agree with LatinMamiOf2..... it could be an ear infection. Or it could be from teeth. Get it checked.

People will tell you that babies don't get these symptoms from teething, but mine did. I had them to the doctors several times to find out they were only teething. Your jaw and ears and nasal cavities are closely connected and teeth problems can cause the ears itch and be uncomfortable and nasal issues. idk where the fever comes into it, but my youngest ran a fever every time he cut a tooth! Still, better to be on the safe side!
    Anonymous

• i agreed with LatinMamiOf2. he need to see his doc to check his ears maybe its infection or teething.
    Amanda142

Answer by Amanda142 at 11:08 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Most doctors say no, but almost every parent I know says runny noses and teething go together. I had it with both of my kids. The rule of thumb is usually, if it runs clear its OK- if its mucky, greenish and thick its a concern.
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 11:11 PM on Jun. 11, 2009