What can I do if I think my nephew is learning delayed?

So my husband and I (and almost anyone else that sees him), think my 8 yo nephew is at least physically delayed and perhaps has some sort of mental or social problems. When he runs his arms flail (sp?) and his head bobbles around. He hasn't learned to ride a bike and my 5 yo has been faster than him since he was 3. When he was over last weekend my 15 month old start crying and he just grabbed the baby and started shaking the fool out of him. He seems to learn okay but if we go somewhere with people, he doesn't act so much shy or defiant as he will literally just stand in the room looking limp until you tell him where he should be. I could explain more, but the point is, we are worried and his parents are having marital issues and seem oblivious to his problems.
All I've ever said is once my sister in law mentioned the running and I asked if she said something to the pediatrician and she said 'why would i do that'.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Oh boy... thats a tough one then....I would hold it in as long as possible and then if I HAD to say something I would make sure it was at a "good" time- like when we were alone and not in the middle of a family get together or right after an "incident". Post again if and when you have had "the talk"-Good luck!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 12:40 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• If he is in school, they would talk with the parents if it is a concern. It is possible they already have and she has not shared that information with you. Schools are really good about picking up on the concerns you have and will get with the parents to let them know what they have observed. I would however speak with her directly about him shaking your 15 month old.
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 11:08 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Road block #2- he is homeschooled. I agree about the shaking thing though.
    Anonymous

• talk to his father and see if he can be tested for Autism or some other disability. here are some things you can google

www.autismspeaks.org

autism assessment

signs of autism

learning delayed

good luck

If he does have a disability the sooner he gets help the better for him

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:40 AM on Jun. 12, 2009