My child is all of a sudden scared to death to take a bath!!!

My son is a year and a half and has always loved his baths. But about 2 weeks ago he tried to stand up and fell on his butt in the bath. It didn't seem to hurt him but it scared him badly. Now he refuses to sit down at all in his bath because he is afraid to. He will also cry most of the time (tears of utter terror) because he is afraid of falling down in the tub. Shampooing his head sends him over the edge. Did this all happen because he fell down? What do I do about it? When we ask if he wants to take a bath, he gets all excited about it and will even play with the water while filling up the tub, but freaks out when it comes to putting him in there. I also just recently birthed another child (1 month old). Could this also have something to do with it? I have know idea what to do and seeing my child go through this is heartbreaking. any ideas? Please help me!

loefflk

Asked by loefflk at 10:59 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• maybe you should by those cute little kid stickies for the bottom of the bath...i forgot what they are actually called but they are basically little grippers on the bottom of the bath to prevent from slipping. and you can show him that he wont slip around. Also I think that maybe he is going back to wanting to be babied at some point but maybe not.
    Anonymous

• Have you tried chowering him? I have a friend whos son hates the bath too, I dont know why, but they started letting him take showers with daddy and he loves it. Other than that maybe try some new bath toys to get him excited about getting in again. OR take a bathe with him. Good Luck!
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 11:58 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• It's a phase and it will pass... eventually. It's very common and it doesn't have to do with him falling or having another baby... Most kids go through it. Good luck Mama.
    lovepink26

Answer by lovepink26 at 12:18 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I also htink it's a phase. My dd always liked the bath, still does, but at some point started hating having her hair washed. I only wash it a couple times a week cause she doesn't need it more often if it's going to make her scream (and she screams BAD).

I suggest getting in with him, my dd always loved that.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 1:20 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• It's a phase. My son went through it around this age.. Now he's 2.5 y/o and loves taking baths & showers. My son also fell down on his butt a few times and was scared to sit in the water, scared to get water on his hair but now he loves sitting & pouring water on his hair.
    Hunters_Mommie

Answer by Hunters_Mommie at 8:18 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My DD is started doing that too, all of the sudden she didn't want to take baths, so I did what another mom here did, I started showering her, and got some paint and markers for the shower (target has them) now she is fine, kids are so weird :-)
    cholita1978

Answer by cholita1978 at 11:18 AM on Jun. 12, 2009