would you send your kid to a religious school if you are not part of that religion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, if it would benefit my child's education.  Meaning, if I was in an area where the public schools were not up to par but there was an excellent Catholic School in the area I absolutely would.  There education comes first...plus there is nothing wrong with them learning the beliefs of others.  Education breeds tolerance.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 11:03 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• No, that wud be pretty dumb...
    Anonymous

• No.
    Anonymous

• Nope...
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:02 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Absolutely not because I do not want anyone forcing religion down my child's throat. It is up to each individual to decide what they believe, not be forced to believe something because other people do or because mommy wanted them to. I think it is okay to talk about your beliefs and other people's beliefs with your children but I do not think it is okay to state things factually to them and coherse them into agreeing out of fear that they won't be loved.
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 11:02 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I assume by religious school, you mean they teach their viewpoint as well as the basic school stuff.

If my child were in high school, and wanted to attend, maybe. Only because kids that age need to start making life decisions of their own. If my child were really wanting to learn at that school, I'd be swayed.

But, before that age, probably wouldn't. I feel it's my privilege to teach my child what I believe foremost. But if he decides something else is right for him, it's his life!!
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:04 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• no i would not
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 11:05 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• NO WAY. I would never pay someone to tell my kids things I don't believe are true.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:05 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• "Yes, if it would benefit my child's education. Meaning, if I was in an area where the public schools were not up to par but there was an excellent Catholic School in the area I absolutely would. There education comes first...plus there is nothing wrong with them learning the beliefs of others. Education breeds tolerance."

I agree with this but as a last resort. I would rather homeschool first. ...and i might be more open to it if it wasnt a Catholic school. No offense to the Catholics out there. ...just a personal prefrance. My mom was raised Catholic.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:06 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• i've considered it, but more than likely would not. not that i'm the smartest person on the planet, but i truly believe a child is better off, in any school, when the parent (s) are totally involved with the teaching of their child, be it basic education or religious training. for parents who would rather the school be in charge of what their child learns, its a no-brainer.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:16 PM on Jun. 11, 2009