Accountablity and Public Aid....

Why should those not on assistance NOT question those who are about how food stamps and housing costs and day care, and whatever is given and then used? I understand it is out there, I would not qualify, but my tax dollars fund you and your needs. Why can't I inquire about what you buy and the such? Is it out of embarassment or pride or what? You can't just claim it is your business because I, and many others pay for it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• You want to complain about what I buy? What about you? Got a mortgage or bank account or credit card? With all the bailouts that have gone through, we all own a piece of those companies. Maybe we should start dictating how you get to decorate that home or how much you charge on your card for gas or what you are buying.

I have a mortgage, bank accounts and credit cards. I pay my bills every month and put money in savings. I DIDN'T GET A BAILOUT! I got what I have the old fashioned way, I worked for it.

Hubby and I went to college first, got married and didn't start popping out kids until we could afford it. We work hard and we don't live beyond our means. We are doing this while raising a special needs child.

The PROFESSIONAL COUCH POTATOES need to turn off the video game, the tv or the computer and GET A JOB. There are jobs out there. Email me where you live and I'll bet I can find you one.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:23 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• i get assistance, and technically I PAID FOR MY ASSISTANCE...ive worked and paid taxes...soooo....i answer when people ask questions under WHEN AND IF they need help getting it themselves or they are HONESTLY CURIOUS! not because they wanna bitch about funding it themselves!!! its all in HOW you ask more than WHAT you ask..and what your intent is...what is it your so curious about?! and why do you need to know whats in others households!?
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:09 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I'd love for you to inquire what I use my food assistance to buy, I'd also gladly inform you that I am unable to buy things in the healthy food section like muscle milk oats and special protein bars, because they aren't covered, but I can buy all the frickin candy that I want. It's rediculous. Who the hell should be able to buy fuckin chocolate with goverment assistance? I'd gladly trade the ability to buy junk for the ability to buy toilet paper and pampers with my EBT card. WTF?
    I do think that there are plenty of people out there abusing the system and there are plenty of people who are denied for unknown reasons who could actually use the assistance. In fact, my husband and I are desperately in need of cash assistance to help us make our rent, but that isn't going to happen. He's working as much as he can, and looking for a second job, and fighting whenever he can to bring in money, I'm going to college online, etc..
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 11:12 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• You are right. I have every right to question how my tax dollars are spent. It makes me sick to see so much waste. If it is going to just be wasted I want it back. I can put it to good use furthering the development of my special needs child or paying for additional instruction/activities for my high iq child. Heck, maybe I could even save more for my own retirement!

If you are on assistance and you don't like me questioning your use of MY money, pull yourself out of your rut and make something of yourself. I was raised by a single Mom who worked 2-3 jobs all the time and received no child support of PA. I am a college degreed small business owning success. ******Disclaimer****** I am not referring to those that are truly deserving of PA, that is why we have it to begin with...somehow I think if you are one of those then you totally understand my point.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:14 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Why can't I inquire about what you buy and the such?
    _______________________________________
    Because being on assistance does not mean you lose rights. Like the right to your privacy and autonomy. Despite what some people think, it is not a crime to be poor. It is not illegal to go on assistance. You do get to retain your basic dignity. (And for anyone who questions, no I am not and have never been on assistance, however, came close after I had to close my business and worried about how I would feed my kids. I have paid into the system as a working person for 25 years.)
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:17 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Oh and dont get me wrong...when i worked at walmart i got multiple phone calls that went something like this
    "umm yea i was wondering what food stamps cover"
    "They cover food sir, do you have a specific item in mind"
    "ummm dog food"
    ----silence----- thinking ARE YOU F'n SERIOUS!!!!???
    you can buy baby items.. like baby food and formula..and THINGS YOU CAN EAT!!! NOTHING MORE!! DOG FOOD!! WTF! now that i find pisses me off i would never think of asking or trying ne thing like that...
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:19 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• muscle milk oats

BODY BUILDING FOOD! You have got to be joking!! You need to forego that kind of crap if you are in financial straits. It makes me wonder what else you are spending money on! Maybe whoever is spending so much time "bulking up" should be working. There are jobs out there, you just have to be willing to work them. Body build on somebody elses dime.

Oh, and YOU can go to college and work. I worked a full time job and a part time job and went to a traditional university.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:22 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Oh and about the candy, just don't buy it. Buy fresh fruits, vegetables, milk, eggs and meats instead. You would be shocked if you knew how far and how healthy I can stretch a hundred bucks of my OWN hard earned money.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:24 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Im sorry, LOL, dogfood??? OMG.

Seriously, I used to be one of those people who was all about MY tax dollars is buying what?? Since I had to go on WIC when we had our twins it humbled me quite a bit. Don't get me wrong, I DO feel as if there is abuse with P.A. but I don't really care what they buy. My attitude is, if they have worked at some point in their life than they have paid in and are getting back what they have paid in.

I just in all seriousness wish that I had the time to be all concerned with what the person in front of me is buying.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 11:26 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Gosh, I don't know why anyone cares what others buy with their food stamps. I have enough shit to worry about and what the woman in front of me at the grocery store is or isn't buying isn't on my list of concerns. I would hope it would be healthy, but in all honesty it's not my job to make sure other families are eating healthy foods. If they want to load up on saturated fats, well then I guess that's their issues to deal with.

Now, as far as having the right to ask what others are buying, I can do that with anyone. Free speech and all. They also have the right to not answer my question or to tell me to take a hike. Again, that free speech thing.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:30 PM on Jun. 11, 2009