anyone try those baby can read dvd's?

did it work for your child? my mother bought my daughter it. she got a great deal cause as she was ordering it the call was disconnected and later they called her back having seen she was interested and offered it a lot cheaper. i mean a lot. anyway did it really work? i've only had it this week.

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 11:10 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have it, but my son doesn't really like them much. (He's two.)
    I really didn't like the strong suggestion to isolate the child with no toys and even in a playpen with the lights out so they have to watch it whether they want to or not!
    My son learned a lot more from LeapFrog DVD's and Preschool Prep DVD's.
    But, I occasionally play the Review DVD for him. As for the slide cards, they are a bit more fun, but not worth the cash.
    Thank your mom and use them as best you can.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:16 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• We got it for my son when he was around 7 months old and he didn't have the attention span to sit and watch the DVD. So, I am going to try again when he gets a longer attention span. But he like the flash cards and even learned the ARMS UP on like the 3rd day. I need to start doing it more!
    wyattsmommy626

Answer by wyattsmommy626 at 11:18 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My son has watched them since he was 3 months old. Now he's six months old and is CONSTANTLY babbling. He'll sit there and tell you alllll about his day in his own words. Whenever we play with the flash cards he laughs and you can tell he enjoys it. :]

He has a good attention span though.
    ours

Answer by ours at 11:20 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• i havent..but i wish i had when my daughter was younger..shes 5 now, so its a lil to late..but..i dunno, i think theyre a great idea..i wouldnt use it forcingly, but i think if the kid is interested, then why not..as long as its fun..lotsa people say, oh let kids be kids..but..having a 5 yr old, and seeing that she could care less with learning this kinda stuff, woulda been nice, if i had gotten her started earlier..and that way maybe she wouldve grown to enjoy it, ya know???
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:56 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Look up previous answers on this. It's asked several times a week.

In short - this is NOT a case of "what can it hurt". Studies have shown that kids who learn to sight read before they learn phonics quickly fall behind their phonics first peers and frequently do not catch up. This system may teach your child to recognize a few written words. This system may teach your child that the way to learn to read is to memorize what words look like. Neither is true reading.

Teach your child phonics. It takes longer, yes. But it works far better in the long run.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:57 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• What Kaycee said.
    Also, do some research on the effects television can have on a baby's brain before the age of 2.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• We did not allow our son to watch TV when he was that young. He was reading just fine at a young age. I never understood the need to force babies to do things so quickly. There is no way to make a child gifted they either are or they are not. All kids are special reading early is great if the child has the ability if they don't the child is simply frustrated by the parents efforts to force this on them. Nurture, play and enjoy your baby all kids read eventually.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My son never watched TV until he was three, and even then it was rarely. I taught him what he needed to know. He started reading three weeks before his 4th birthday, and he did it without videos.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 1:38 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• my daughter is 3 and she doesn't even talk so i thought these my help but i agree i think it's more like memoring then really learning. that is why i asked in the first place. thanks ladies
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:25 AM on Jun. 13, 2009