• In the Spotlight:

What is a normal amount of time for a 7 year old boy to eat?

Over one hour seems ridiculous to me. Is it just me? To top it off he like spaghetti-o's but hates homemade spaghetti. Actually he hates all food except basically hot dogs and chicken fingers and fries. HELP PLEASE!!!!

cary138

Asked by cary138 at 12:07 AM on Jun. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• About a half hour is more then enough time. Tell him that if its not gone in a half hour you will take his food away and he doesnt get anything more to eat. And then stick with it. be consistant. And as far as not liking other foods. BS. he HAS to eat his veggies and fruits. I'm not sure what you should do about that though. i niped my boys fake picky eating in the bud. They eat almost anything now.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:14 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Welcome to the world according to children.

Don't they just drive you to drink!

Yes agreed an hour is too long especially if it is with their favorite food. We have a series of games(training techniques) that are played. Firstly, the race is on game. first one finished extra TV/Computer time or my choice of TV viewing and If I'm really over it to bed with you.
    Then you have the kitchen timer and dispose of the food / feed it to the dog routine.
    My personal fav is like it or not, that is it only.

Food is limited to 5 only feedings a day with no snax in between.
    Kitchen/pantry is not a child zone in my home.

Alternately this age bracket is often fatigued from school and family mealtimes can be too late. Try an earlier meal time and see if it improves.

Good luck, They tell this hangs on until puberty......
    ElleinOz

Answer by ElleinOz at 12:23 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Our school Principal timed the kids in the Cafeteria and most of them (grades K-4) were done eating lunch between 7-10 minutes so 30 min should be enough. I am sure in school he can get his lunch down in the allotted 20-30 min. the have. Tell him he has 30 min set a timer. As far as him being picky that is just a control thing on his part, sounds like he is in control and in charge. If the 'food' he likes is not there I bet he will start eating other foods. He will not starve himself and once he realizes you are not going to give in he will soon eat the other foods offered, although this may take a couple of days, it will not happen overnight

good luck

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:36 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I agree justgrape about getting rid of the foods he likes to eat. That is probably the best way to do it. If you just dont have those in your house then you can only serve him other things. After a few days he wont have any choice but to eat what is put on his plate.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:00 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• When I met SO, SD was 4 yrs old and living on "taters & gravy" from KFC and "little hotdogs" (vienna sausages). She had been allowed to do this all her life at that point. But I pointed out she was starting school soon and would have to eat other foods in an allotted time. From that point on she ate what we ate. If she didn't like it, she went without. She would pick at it, chew really slow hoping we would take it away and not make her eat it, or whatever taking AT LEAST an hour. SO would warm it up after it got cold. I stopped that too. If she doesn't like it cold, she needs to eat faster. SD absolutely hated this and cried on several occasions. But she finally realized we meant business. Now she eats what we eat with no problems in a decent amount of timel.
    There is no reason children can't eat the same things we eat. Then every once on a while, fix what they like. It will take a little bit but it worked for us.
    LifeGoesOn08

Answer by LifeGoesOn08 at 1:38 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Mom,let's talk.Your son only eats junk because that is what you give him.You are doing him a HUGE disservice by not buying &preparing a variety of healthy foods.Fruits,vegetables,whole grains,beans,lentils,etc.You &your family are real people who should be eating real food.Dinner should be a family event,with everyone sitting at a table talking,eating delicious,healthy foods &really being a family.Here are some typical dishes at our house,let me know if you would like any recipes:
    noodles & veggies with peanut sauce
    pot pie
    lentil tacos
    sweet potato & black bean burritos
    sloppy jojos (made with lentils)
    noodles with beans, sauce, spinach&cheese
    Italian stew
    veggie stew with dumplings
    southwest falafel
    tofu "fish sticks" with sweet potato or acorn squash baked "fries"
    General Tsao’s Tofu
    Tamale Bean Pie
    The rule at our house is you try 3 bites of dinner,if you don't like it you get toast with PB&Honey

Answer by rkoloms at 4:37 PM on Jun. 12, 2009