Im getting remarried and me and my 4 yr old just moved into a new house with my fiance. My 4yr old has always slept with me, but now I want her to sleep in her room. I know its all new and scary for her and I have done everything to try to make her feel comfrontable and safe, but nothing works. HELP1

rysmom72205

Asked by rysmom72205 at 12:37 AM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well those are two really big life changes for her. I would let her stay in your bed for a couple of weeks and then slowly start moving to her own room. First she has to sleep on the floor next to your bed, then keep moving the bed further away from your bed and closer to her bed. It is too much for one little kid at a time.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:40 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• do you mean she doesn't want to be in her own room? if theres room in the room you share with your fiance maybe put her bed in there for awhile until she is ok with the new bed then move her into her own room again.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:40 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• oh, and make sure to make the whole new room and big girl bed thing exciting. if you haven't gotten bedding yet, let her pick something out, let her pick the room color or decorations etc..so that its someplace she likes and wants to be.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:41 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• One thing that we did when our girls were going through a change in their sleeping arrangements, whether it be a new house or a new bed, was to let them pick out their special bedding. It gives them a sense of independence and makes it very special to have their room and bed look the way they want it to. That has seemed to help us a lot with any transitions we have had to make. Good luck and congrats to you!
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 12:43 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• A fun new bedroom with a string of lights hanging from the ceiling and story time every night doesn't work, try a set of walkie talkies so she can call you only in an emergency. Give her a squirt bottle to squirt at things that make her scared...That the water in the bottle is magic and will make scary things dissapear.
    Is her new room far from yours? do you keep doors shut? if so they tell her you will keep them open.
    Do set the boundries of having her back in your bed. She needs to learn to sleep on her own. If she is just simply scared of her own room ask her why and talk about it. Maybe even just have her crash on the couch in front of a video....it's better then having her share a bed with you and your new guy
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:27 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I would wait awhile to push her out of your bed. You just gave her a HUGE life change to deal with and she needs to feel that you are not pushing her away completely and are still going to be there for her even though there is this new guy in your life. I would give it a few weeks at least before kicking her out of your room and then I would do it slowly.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:39 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I would have a sleeping bag at the end of your bed and tell her she can sleep there for 1 week. Then move the sleeping bag to the foot of the bed on the floor for 1 week then move it to just inside the door (each move is for 1 week) then just outside the door. Then move it 6 feet down the hall. then to just outside her door then to just inside her door then to the foot of her bed on the floor then to her bed. this gives her time to get used to sleeping on her own in her own room and it slowly helps her get used to not sleeping with you and slowly moving her to her new room . No huge adjustments. G/L

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 10:02 AM on Jun. 12, 2009