IS THIS NORMAL FOR 2 YEAR OLD GIRL?

I'VE RECENTLY STARTED POTTY TRAINING HER AND LAST WEEK I TOOK HER TO THE DOCTOR BECAUSE SHE HAD A FEVER AND WASN'T EATING .ANYWYS MY QUESTION IS SHE'S RECENTLY STARTED TOUCHING HERSELF DOWN THERE ALL THE TIME AND EVEN TAKES OFF HER DIAPER SO WHEN I WAS AT THE DOC I ASKED HIM ABOUT IT AND HE DID A URINE TEST BUT HE SAYS EVERYTHING'S OK AND IT'LL CLEAR UP ON IT'S OWN.IS THIS NORMAL THAT SHE TOUCHES HERSELF OR SHOULD I BE WORRIED?

greenmaniac

Asked by greenmaniac at 1:19 AM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's perfectly normal. I have a 2 yr old daughter too. At this age they are discovering their body parts and what they're used for. My daughter touches herself sometimes...she will put her hand in her diaper and do it that way. Sometimes she does it when I change her. I just tell her not to touch herself and she will stop doing it. When she first started it, she did it alot, then it tapered off alot and she hardly does it..only every now and then.
    sbrast35

Answer by sbrast35 at 1:23 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Normal. Ask yourself this: If she were playing with her toes, would you ask it it was normal? Babies have an entire world to discover, their own bodies included. Try to keep her from exploring with very dirty fingers as that can cause an infection. You can also gently direct her to her bedroom for such explorations. Otherwise, let her discover her body & her world.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 1:25 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• its normal for boys and girls to get curious
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 1:25 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• SO normal! My dd would do it every single chance she got. Chances are, if she was home, and I left her for a second or if she was just watching tv or not doing something that had her hands occupied, she would sit with her legs spread touching herself. It was really hard to deal with, bc she would do it in front of anyone. It knew it was normal, but she was taking it to the extreme. It lasted about a year before she stopped completely. I tried telling her we only do that in private, in the tub or bed. But 2 yr olds don't really get that lol.
    Chick

Answer by Chick at 1:28 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• MY TWO YR OLD DOES THAT TOO, SHE EVEN TRIES TO GET UP AND LOOK WHEN I AM CHANGING HER, I TOLD HER NOT TO TOUCH WITH DIRTY FINGERS, SHE IS DOING IT LESS AND LESS NOW THAT SH E IS 2 1/2.
    ester

Answer by ester at 8:54 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Normal
    kk_bella

Answer by kk_bella at 9:11 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• It is very normal for her to touch herself and the same for little boys. She will outgrow it, she just discovered a new body part. It usually lasts about a year, if that. Don't make a big deal about it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:46 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I think its normal! All three of my girls went through this, my youngest is going through it now. They are just curious...she will stop on her own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Normal.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:24 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• its normal for kids this age. one time i woke up and when in my sons room and he had his diaper off doing the same thing. every1s kid that i know have done that.
    wildcatsgurl06

Answer by wildcatsgurl06 at 11:52 AM on Jun. 12, 2009