Do Pagans pray to statues?

Please don't get upset. I am seriously asking. I saw someone compare paganism to Catholicism in another post, because of this issue.

So I am wondering? Do you have statues of the gods you worship? Does the word idol offend you or is that okay (I am serious, not being rude)? Do you put them around just for decoration (like we put up pictures of the last supper)? or are they a part of your worship practices (prayer, offerings, etc)? Please educate me.

Thank you : )

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 1:21 AM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I wouldn't pray TO a statue. A statue, for me, would be a representation of the god or goddess I was trying to connect with through my prayer. That statue is not the deity. The deity is not the statue. It's like looking at a photo of your husband... that photo is a representation of him, but not HIM.

Such statues or images are sometimes used just for decoration, I'm sure. For me they would be used as a focal point for prayer or meditation, or as reminders of my priorities. (For instance, I have a picture of the Chinese goddess of compassion on my fridge. I don't follow that pantheon, but I'm faced with her image multiple times a day and it reminds me to be patient and kind.)

The word idol doesn't offend me; it's not one that really fits into my vocabulary anymore. I think that for our purposes, "icon" is more appropriate - as it is used by Catholics, Greek Orthodox, etc.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 1:30 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I can't speak for the others, but they have nothing to do with Heathenry. Statues and small carvings exist, but they aren't focal points of worship - they're no different than a nativity scene or dashboard Jesus.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:25 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• just for the record, catholics don't worship the statues. The only worship from a catholic goes to God the Father, Son and Holy spirit. :-) not that you thought any different.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I don't actually have any statues, BTW. I'm not opposed, it's just not a priority. I've got a tree outside if I want something to focus my prayer on. :-)
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 1:33 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I do have an altar though for devotions, and that's where a statue would go if I got one, I suppose. The purpose is served quite nicely by a picture of a seedling in a lovely earthy frame. Again - I don't pray TO the seedling.

Sorry for the serial postings. It's late.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 1:35 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I completely agree with collinsky.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 6:32 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Do Pagans pray to statues?No, just as Catholic's do not. We use the Idol as a representation of a particular power, usually a God to help us to connect with the devine. They are used more as a tool to help carry our will out than they are as a item to be worshiped within it's self.
    Do you have statues of the gods you worship? Yes. I have statues of many of my Gods as well as ones that represent the elementals, Dragons and Fairies
    Does the word idol offend you or is that okay? It's fine with me. That's what they are, They are Idols, why would that offend?
    Do you put them around just for decoration or are they a part of your worship practices? A little of both. I have the ones that I use only for decorative reasons and those that are only for religious use in rituals and such.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:01 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Take this as an example of comparison. I have an elderly Catholic lady in the house next to mine. She has a Mary Statue in her yard and a crusifix around her neck. I have seen her pray while holding on to that crusifix more than once as well as I have seen her talk to or rather through Mary as she was sitting in her garden.

As a pagan I use my statues in the same way, I talk to the gods through them, they are physical representations of my god or my messanger.

The difference is that while I am usually speaking to the god who is depicted most Christians are asking that Saint to take a message for God....

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:05 AM on Jun. 12, 2009