What do you do when your depression has taken over your life, even on meds?

I have four blessings from GOD and everything I do is for them. I went back to school last year to give us all a better life. i am a single mom with four kids, one whom is going through teen age years, and twins that are still in kindergarten.
I only have two months of school left and I called them and told them that i wouldnt be back to school till a month because of family issues. I was lying. I just couldnt get out of the bed.Well that month turned into two more months. I just want the energy back to go and finish what I started.
I recently want on vacation for the first time ever with my best friend and wanted to sleep the entire time while she had the time of her life. She told me i was acting like a old woman and not thirty. I know she was joking but she doesnt understand that yes this is true what she said. i feel so run down and for no reason! what do i do depression has completely taken over. no life left inside

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Jun. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• you just keep on swimmin, keep on swimming....you keep going until you've got that degree and can work normal hours and be there for your kids. Choose a job that has you at work while your kids are at school that way you can be home with them in the afternoons and so on... you can do it!! You are woman! Let me hear you ROAR!! we do what it takes to provide for our children...I honor you..
    Ilovemy5joys

Answer by Ilovemy5joys at 1:31 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Are you being treated by a Psychiatrist or a regular doctor? It is important that you see a Psychiatrist for your depression. I have made that mistake before. If you ARE seeing a psychiatrist, call him or her immediately and let them know you need to be seen asap, and why. For an immediate fix, work out until you get a runner's high. It is natural medication, and works better than any prescription you will ever get. PM me if you want to discuss this further. I deal with depression every day too, and I know exactly what you are dealing with.

3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 1:33 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• You FAKE it! You get out of bed, shower, get dressed, go to school and do your best. You put a SMILE on you face even if it hurts. You get outside and enjoy some sunlight EVERY DAY! The energy and the Vitamins you get from the sun are crucial. You exercise, eat right and keep a normal sleep schedule. If the meds aren't helping talk to your doctor about an alternative. Meds have a lot of side effects (including depression and exhaustion). If you can ween off of them and see how you do (under a doctor's supervision) then you should.

Do things outside of your home with your kids, friends, co-workers... nothing good is going to happen while you are laying in your bed. But something just might happen while you are out.... Get out there no matter how you feel. "Fake it 'til you feel it!"

God has blessings waiting for you... but YOU have to go to them.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 1:37 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Depression is a nasty thing and can take over your entire life as you know. I was a single mom of 3 and suffered from it. Go to your dr and figure out if it's situational depression or physiological depression. If situational then make changes in your life to make it better. If the other then you may need antidepressants. I've been hospitalized for it before and the WORST thing to do for depression is to lay around. Something about deposits in your joints, blah blah blah. Whatever, it means you have to get up and move. Turn music on and dance. Do something. Just get up and move. I won't take long term antidepressants but do take over the counter 5-htp. Don't take that without talking to your dr but it works to help me get through rough patches then I stop it. Just hang in there. It can get better but you have to do something to make it better.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:43 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• sometimes you just have to fake not being depressed like the last person said...ever heard of fake it til u make it
    wll now its that time
    in the mean time I would talk to my doctor and ask for meds that make you less drowsy because some of them do that to you and its out of your control
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 1:44 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• If you're on med by a psychiatrist you need to also be seeing a therapist. Meds alone and therapy alone don't work when you can't get out of bed. You need to do this immediately because it's affecting you tremendously and is probably affecting your children.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 1:59 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• you really need to see a professional and get the help you need. It may be that you just need to talk or you may need to up your meds or get new ones.
    Stay strong
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:47 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• u need to go to ur nearest mental health clinic and talk to a dr there...maybe u just need a different med combo or therpy...it help it just takes time
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:31 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Go back in your mind to the time when your depression started. What was going on in your life at that time? It is most likely some event or series of events that you have never allowed yourself to be angry about or grieve over. Depression often results from having stuffred emotions so deeply inside that we think they are gone, not a problem, when the truth is that until they are exposed and dealt with, they will haunt us for life. There is a wonderful book entitled EMOTIONS BURIED ALIVE NEVER DIE. It is the truth. Whatever you have buried, dig it up. Look at it. Deal with it. Cry over it. Beat your pillow until you need a new one. It may even be that you need to forgive yourself or forgive someone else. Whatever it is, take care of it. Then the healing can begin, and you can be free to enjoy your life, your children.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:40 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• i agree with nannyb.i suffer from servere depression.right now you probly cant figure out what is going on but look back.for me its not just one thing but a couple of things that mount up.sometimes you need to talk to a therapist to snap out of it.
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 12:38 PM on Jun. 12, 2009