• In the Spotlight:

do you submit to your man like the bible says to?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• ha NO and he wouldnt want me to either
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 1:54 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Luckily my dh doesn't believe in the bible. lol I don't think he would want me to either.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:56 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• LOL no mine doesn't like submissive women. He always tells people I am one tough woman.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:57 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• No. Because the Bible doesn't tell ME to.

I think you're confusing the words of verses such as 1 Timothy 2:11-15 and 1 Corinthians 14:33-40 as commandments for 21st century living instead of taking them for what they actually are. They are suggestions for 1st century living, given in letters to people of specific areas and cultures, based on their era and culturally-specific needs. Instead of following cultural suggestions for a culture and time that is not our own, we glean the principle (i.e. not interrupting church and being modest) rather than being literally silent and covering our heads. So on and so forth. Passages from the OT are seen in the same light. As a reflection of the time and culture. In addition, we are no longer bound the othe Old Testament rules and promise.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:59 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• HELL NO
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 2:02 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I am, the bible also instructs the husband to treat his wife with respect and to listen to her words, which he absolutely does. It's not like I drop to me knees and bow to him when he comes home, when we need to make a decision about something we do it together. But he is the head of our household and I respect him as such.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• O.K. here we go again.
    This is the passage that deals with submission.
    Eph 5:21-30
    If you read that passage in any version of the Bible you will see that the husband has a much higher responsibility; that is to love his wife sacrificially. That is in the same way Jesus loved the church, or all followers. Literally the husband must be willing to give up his life for his wife. I have no trouble following that command.

If you read verse 21 it tells that we are to submit as an act of honor to Christ. Both husband and wife are submitted to Christ and to eachother. So it is more that we take on different role in the marrage.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:08 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I agree with teamqinn and the annon above her post. I do submit to my husband and I am glad to do it. I know he has my best interest at heart.
    BethTTC

Answer by BethTTC at 2:29 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• No I don't believe in submitting to anyone.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 3:07 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I respect my husband. I wouldn't refer to him as "my man" anymore than he refers to me as "his woman". Both terms are derogatory and demeaning.

I honor God, so I this is how I "submit": God is #1, hubby is #2, kids are #3, grandchildren #4 and everyone else picks a number and stands in line ... I give to God what is his; and to my husband what is his: they both get my love, honor, and respect. The rest is mine to do with as I choose. Neither expect me to be a pushover or a doormat, and I'm not.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:11 AM on Jun. 12, 2009