how do you discipline your child in public?

Yesterday I was out with my girls, I decided to stop at starbucks, and buy them some strawberry milk, while there I saw an old friend and we talked a bit than found myself talking to him about my survivng twin son who is in the NICU and my twin son who passed away. It felt like a good time to vent and I'm still grieving in the meantime my daughter age 4 began acting up, she began to run around and I asked her to come closer to were I was but she didn't listen as soon as I got up to get her she ran away and she was going in cicles around the table which by the way was not small and we were pretty close to the main street. I was so upset I put her on the wall but she still didnt listen hanging off the railing, my 2 year old daughter was behaving better than her, I ended up leaving. I really did feel like spanking her. How do you discipline your child in public? I need other ideas, the wall did not do it!

babyangelromero

Asked by babyangelromero at 7:03 AM on Jun. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• im sorry i cant help my kids really dotn act up in public or at home . my kids are the ones to tell other kids to stop acting stupid
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:28 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• It depends on what they're doing.. if they're fighting or touching all kinds of stuff, I let them know they have corner time when we get home and the next time I go to that store, they're not allowed to go with me. If they're running around or hiding from me, I bust their ass right there. I don't care what people think... if my kids are doing something that could get them hurt (you know, run over) or stolen (if I can't see where they are, who's to say someone wouldn't grab one??) then I do whatever will get their attention.
    I don't "bust" their ass per say though, I smack em a couple times on the bottom and since strangers see, it embarasses them... thereby next time out, they act perfect!
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 7:38 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• To: 6:28 AM on Jun. 12, 2009 by: Anonymous
    YA RIGHT!!! HAHAHAHAHA
    Ya, my son, the angel that he is acts up every so often. I sit him in a chair and very firmly get down to his level tell him,"I put you here because you are misbehaving, if you get up before I tell you, you will never see a cartoon, oreo cookie or a "Happy Meal" EVER AGAIN!"
    It's actually worked 95%.
    note:We haven't been to McDonald's in two months and haven't had Oreo's in 5.
    Stay strong sister!
    Sorry to hear about your loss with the other twin.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 8:22 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I tell my kids if they do not straighten up we are leaving and they will lose________ (what ever item or special event that would suit the "crime") I was shopping w/ my oldest one day he was almost 3 he acted up in the store my cart was full of groceries. He would not listen I found the manager told him my son would not behave would he re-shop my cart we went home. W/out the treat we usually got after grocery shopping, he did not earn the treat. I only had to do this once with my oldest and he never acted up in public again because he knew Mom meant business and that she would always follow thru.

be strong, be consistent, be firm.

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:28 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• laugh all you want but my children dont act up . i never have to yell . i never have done timeout . nothing. even my sons teachers say he is so pleasent to have in class because he will tell the other kids to stop misbehaving . sorry your kids are brats . mine arent
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Um the previous 'anonymous" answer was of no help at all for the OP.............I have never met a child who is 100% perfect and I have several friends who are teachers none of them have ever met the perfect child either...........someone is not living in the real world......IJS

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:24 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Well, my 29 month old has only ever acted up 3 times to the point where I needed to actually discipline her while we were out. What happened each time was she was screaming/crying and not sitting where she was supposed to be, so after about a minute of her not calming down for me, I told her 1 time if she does not stop we are leaving, and when she didn't stop we left. I took her out to the car, put her in her carseat, let her calm down, and then drove home. I do not like it when a child is acting up like that, so I won't let my daughter act that way in public.
    Just be consistent with whatever punishment you give, if you tell her you are going to take away, say, a toy, take the toy away (and don't tell her it for 20 minutes while she's acting up, give her just a couple of minutes to behave).
    DreaKevAiyana

Answer by DreaKevAiyana at 9:36 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Sorry for going off topic here, but I just had to comment about anons well-behaved kids. It IS possible. My best friend has two girls who are absolute angels. They never act up, especially not in public, and listen very well to their parents. I would be shocked if they ever talked back or acted naughty, and they've been that way since they were tiny. My friends are incredible parents and I think that helps, but mostly it comes down to the kids personality. It blows my mind, because my kids are NOT like that...lol.
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 9:44 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I learned from my My Aunt Red, who use to use "the voice" on us all the time as kids and it put the fear of god into us. It works real well on my son. No butt whuppins are actually needed. They do usually cry after you do this, but they act a lot better.

You move in close to your kid, and in a growl so low only your kid can hear you, while your lips are raised up in a snarl (and don't forget to put on your angry face), you say to them real slow in that growl, "child if you don't quit acting up here in public, I'm going to give you the worst spanking you have ever had" or something to that effect. Then you follow it up with a sharp "Now get up and act right!".

It takes some practice, but is totally worth it when you get it down pat.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 10:01 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My daughter is only 2 1/2, but when I threaten to take her blocks away (her favorite toy) she behaves. I have taken them away before for the whole day, so she knows I will do it again.

Spank if you want to, but be ready for a lot of nosey people to yell "child ause!"
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 10:03 AM on Jun. 12, 2009