Would you terminate your pregnancy?

If you went to your 16-18 wk u/s and were told that there is a risk of your baby having a chromosomal problem? Would you risk your pregnancy and have an amnio to know for sure? If your amnio results showed that you were in fact carrying a child with a chromosomal abnormality would you then terminate? I was faced with all of these problams and chose to not terminate and to not have an amnio. I'm about 38 wks now. It's been a very stressful pregnancy to say the least.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 AM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No, I wouldn't. I was told that my son could have problems... I didn't do the amnio nor did I terminate and he came out perfectly normal.
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 7:34 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• no
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:37 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I honestly don't know..but my DH's feeling would certainly be taken into account. Does the knowledge of a chromosome disorder help the docs prepare for deliver? or do they only do it in case you want to terminate?

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 7:38 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• No, I was told the same thing. That my baby had Choroid Plexus Cyst, could have DS and Trisomy 18. They wanted me to have an amnio and I refused. Seven years later my boy is a healthy first grader.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:39 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• OP here....

Prior knowledge of a chromosomal problem could help with preparations prior to the birth of the child. In my case, my decision not to have an amnio was based on what was seen on the level 2 u/s at the time and the risk factor that was given to me based on the AFP and Level 2 together. At that time the risk involved with an amnio outweighed the risk associated with the pregnancy. Imagine losing a pregnancy due to amnio and then receiving the results of that amnio 2 wks after the fact and finding out there was nothing wrong anyway. I just couldn't live with myself if that were to happen
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:43 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I'm not sure what I would do. I'd like to say that I wouldn't, but I don't know. It would be expensive to have a sick child and how sick would the child be? Will the child have any quality of life?

I'm sorry you had to go through this. What a tough decision to face? This is why technology is bad-we should just let nature take its course and find out the results in the end. I'm sure everything will be fine. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Yes I would!!! I would particularly pay attention to the alphafeto test to have the amnio. Knowing me, I'll most likely wind up resenting a special needs child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:47 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• How could you resent a special needs child... if said child is yours? Are you really that immature? That is unbelieveable.
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 7:53 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• "No....It is a Gift from God!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:59 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• The screenings are far from a diagnosis...Your question got me looking around.
    Congratulations and Good luck.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 8:07 AM on Jun. 12, 2009