Will it be okay to lay out on the beach, as long as i drink lots of water? and on my belly too?

im 8 weeks pregnant

EheartsZ07

Asked by EheartsZ07 at 7:57 AM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i'm 8 weeks too! i think it will be ok. i worried with my last pregnancy that if i got burned if the baby would be affected by it but my dr said no. she said to slather on plenty of sunscreen and yes, drink lots of water. since you're very early in pregnancy i don't think laying on your belly will harm it. i sleep on my belly at night still, trying to enjoy it while i still can! have fun!!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:05 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Regardless of whether you are pregnant or not, exposure to the sun puts you at risk for premature aging and malignant melanoma (skin cancer). Drink plenty of water, use a sunscreen with SPF 30 or more, and wear a hat. Pregnancy makes your skin more sensitive so the sun may cause hives, heat rash or worsened chloasma. I wouldn't stay in the sun for long periods. As far as laying on your stomach, it should be ok as long as you're comfortable.
    Hunters_Mommie

Answer by Hunters_Mommie at 8:14 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• The PP is right, you'll be at higher risk fro Chloasma (pregnancy mask). Basically your face will look like it has a bad tan. Not to mention pregnancy can make your skin more sensitive. If you do lay out you should probably wear SPF 50 sun screen and replace it every 30 minutes to be safe. PErsonally I think paler skin looks better anyway. Not to mention dermatologists have shown that even a healthy tan every summer can cause just as much sun damage over time as a few burns. As far as laying on your tummy, I only found out I was pregnant at 7weeks and had been laying on my tummy. If you aren't bloated it shouldn't be an issue. ANd yes LOTS of water.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 8:24 AM on Jun. 12, 2009