All Faith Discussion: What story from your religion do you identify with the most?

Alternatively, if you have NO religion, do you have a particular story that you identify with the most?

For me, it would be the prodigal son. I fill that role on so many levels -I left home at a young age, got into a LOT of trouble, and returned - to open arms. Also, I turned away from God many times as well, and each time I have come back to Him, He has welcomed me with open arms.

What's your story?

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 8:19 AM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't have a story i identify with but i love the story about Abraham, when he asked Allah to strengthen his faith by showing him a divine act.
    So Allah told him the following....

Al-Baqarah - 2:260
    And (remember) when Ibrâhim (Abraham) said, "My Lord! Show me how You give life to the dead." He (Allâh) said: "Do you not believe?" He [Ibrâhim (Abraham)] said: "Yes (I believe), but to be stronger in Faith." He said: "Take four birds, then cause them to incline towards you (then slaughter them, cut them into pieces), and then put a portion of them on every hill, and call them, they will come to you in haste. And know that Allâh is All-Mighty, All-Wise." (Al-Baqarah 2:260)

This story was one of the things that helped me to believe. There are many many more stories.. each beautiful and moving
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 9:06 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I identify most with the Samaritan woman that Jesus met at the well. Before Christ I had led a very sinful life. I did whatever I wanted, searching for love and fulfillment. I also was spiritual (I was involved in other religions and beliefs) and I had many ideas and opinions about God that weren't right. I was a lot like her. And I was also, pretty insecure. I tried to avoid the crowd,

So when I became a Christian and I read the story of Jesus intentionally going to Samaria, just to meet with the one woman, I saw myself. He talked to her, He revealed Himself as the Messiah, He called her on all her garbage (lovingly), gave her spiritual truth, and He turned her into an evangelist. You can read it, it is short John 4.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:07 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Our Lady of Guadalupe. she appeared to a simple Mexican to carry out her plans. It shows that God will send a messenger and that the messenger does not have to be a high priest. she appears to my grandmother and myself at times.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Morgan La Fey. She faced a strugle between what she believed in and what she had been raised to believe as true. Fighting through her own personal war she finally found peace and became the mother to all witches as well as a great teacher, striving to bring an aliance between the "new" Christian religion and the "old" Pagan Teachings in her world...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:33 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• The Death of Baldr. Frigga takes an oath from every living thing on earth to not harm her son, but she overlooks one thing as harmless, and it ends up being used to kill him. Hel offers to let him return to life if everything on earth weeps for him, but Hel's father, who was responsible for Baldr's death, disguises himself and refuses to shed a tear for him. No matter how hard you try to protect your child, there will always be things beyond your control, and some things, no matter how hard you try, cannot be undone.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:46 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I identify the most with two... 1) the sinful woman who broke open expenive box and poured perfume on Jesus and wet His feet with her tears and used her hair to dry them.. and 2) the prodigal son... I was welcomed back by my Father God with arms wide open.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 12:23 PM on Jun. 12, 2009