Why does the doc always open her diaper and look in?

What are they looking for?

HolliBerry21

Asked by HolliBerry21 at 8:44 AM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Diaper rash, vaginal adhesions, cleanliness, to check on development, etc. Its just another area of your child that the Dr needs to make sure is working and not having any issues.

My dd has had vaginal adhesions in the past that needed medications. I never knew that she had them, it is a hard thing to notice, unless you know what to look for.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:48 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• rashes infection bumps stuff like that
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:46 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Oh, and if its a boy, maybe to check the circ' or to check the forskin if he is intact. Forgot about boys..lol
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:49 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• It's nothing nasty about it..It's the doctors job to check your DD's whole body out..Including her private areas.

Answer by louise2 at 8:56 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• my DD's doctor told me that he checked to make sure there wasnt a rash ect. and bc he had a lil girl that came in and her lips where sealed shut (bc she wasnt being taken care of properly).
    mommy033

Answer by mommy033 at 9:13 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My ped used to flip babies over and run his finger down their spine. Some parents would freak, but he was just checking for spinal alignment, and he would pedal their legs to check their joints. It's just part of a check-up, trying to catch anything that may need to be treated.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:54 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• They found my daughter's tethered spinal cord after looking in her diaper and seeing dimples on her butt.....just a precaution :)
    anglgrl03

Answer by anglgrl03 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• A vaginal adhension (lips sealed) is NOT because a baby is not being cared for correctly. Two of my three had them and its because they had a diaper rash and as it healed it sealed itself. It just happens. Premature babies, like mine, are more prone to them that a full term infant.
    gkm15099

Answer by gkm15099 at 2:49 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• You are correct gkm a vaginal adhesion is NOT FROM LACK OF CARE. They happen to little girls who lack hormones to make vaginal secretions. The lips become dry and start to stick together. Especially after a bad diaper rash b/c of the healing process.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:17 PM on Jun. 12, 2009