Should I change Docs?

My 5m old daughter woke up with a fever on tuseday she didnt want to do anything but lay there looking at the ceiling. So I called dr and took her to see her her fever was 103.5 after giving tylenol. The doc said "I dont know why she is sick" so she wrote her a script for amoxicilin. (she never go to take it) Went to my sisters to get my other 2 kids she was a happy baby fever was gone she was smiling everything. Got home at 3 got my son a snack put my other daughter to bed and my 5mo started to wake up. I went to pick her up and she was stiff she wouldnt move she was groaning and couldnt breath well. I called dr again they heard her and put me on hold for 10min! I had to wait a few min for so to get home to watch other kids. I hung up on dr after that time and took her straight to hospital. 2 hours later she was admitted with phnemonia(SP?) She was there for 2days. Should her doc of caught that she had phnemonia(SP?)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You do need to change doctors.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 8:56 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Well, Dr's are human and make mistakes too. BUT in the case of your child's health. I would find a new Dr. You dont want this happening again. It might have been a simple mistake, but then again, maybe he is lacking in skills. I wouldnt hang around to figure out which one is the problem. ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:57 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• pnemonia isn't always cut and dry. There is such a thing as silent pnemonia, meaning the lungs sound fine, and it's usually only found either in a chest x-ray or as the case with your daughter, they have trouble breathing, but I would find out why you were on hold for 10 minutes.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:37 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Pneumonia isn't always easy to pick up, if she had no other symptoms at the the time like a cough or noisy lungs when they doctor listened there wouldn't ave been a good reason to look for it. You have to remember with all medicine it's educated guessing not fortune telling, they don't know everything. THey make their best guess based on symptoms. SO if you have liked your doctor in the past I wouldn't switch it's a type of thing that could happen to any doctor you would see. And knowing it was pnumonia sooner wouldn't have kept you out of the hospital... just happened a little later
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:03 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• it's very strange. amoxicillin is often prescribed for pneumonia, so maybe your doctor suspected that your daughter had it but didn't want to tell you? I don't know. I would switch doctors.
    asyoulikeit

Answer by asyoulikeit at 12:38 PM on Jun. 12, 2009