gay marriage

We had a heated debate on gay marriage on here last night. I can see how the word marriage has biblical roots and people want to preserve that. My question, if the law said "civil union" and was open to gay an hetero couples, would that be an issue? Is there some type of compromise acceptable to more people? Marriage could be the religious act and civil union a legal act.

teampalmer4

Asked by teampalmer4 at 8:56 AM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• IMO, it should be marriage as the legal/secular term and holy matrimony as the religious term, as marriage is not confined to a religious/Godly union.

That is the real answer, but it will never work when so many people have been brainwashed into believing lies, like their personal god inventing something that existed long before he did.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:51 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I still dont think that would make everyone happy. Gays included. They want it to be called MARRIAGE and to be acceptable to all.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:58 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Well I am married and not religious, does that mean I'm offending Christians? Marriage is not exclusively for Christians. I think our kids will tell their kids....and believe it or not when I was a kid gay people couldn't get married....really thats silly.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 9:01 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• But then do you think the argument would move to the churches where it belongs? I am a bit wary of legal issues being decided through religious beliefs. What if we used the Koran to guide our laws. I am not sure what I think of the words marriage over civil union- I was just wondering if you took the religion out of it- would it be a good first step.
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 9:02 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• By the way- my marriage or beliefs are not threatened by gays so I am fine with the word gay marriage. I am trying to see both sides of the "marriage" debate by getting that word out of there and moving on to the real point- committed relationships.
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 9:05 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I don't think that would please everyone- the whole point is that gays want EQUALITY. 'Separate but equal' didn't work for racial issues and it won't work for issues of sexual orientation either. As for also having 'civil unions' available to heterosexual couples who don't get married in a church.... hmmm. I'm not religious in a conventional sense, when I'm filling out my marital status on a form am I going to write 'married' or 'civily united?' Sorry, but I'm going to write married- if it's the same thing it should have the same name. Marriage is not only a Christian institution... non-Christians do marry. In my eyes the current furor over gay marriage is similar to the furor a generation or two ago of different races marrying... do you think we should have racially mixed 'marriages' or should we have told people of different marriages they could be together, but would have to call it a different name?
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:07 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Are you suggesting churches would be forced to marry gay couples? because that would never happen. There is a youtube vid about a bunch of churches addressing the public and stating that any reports that churches have been persuaded to marry gays is false and just antigay propaganda (fear mongering).
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 9:08 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Christians did not invent and do not own 'marriage'.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:10 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I think that married couple should also have a civil union for the purpose of law. You want to be married in you church, fine. But the government should only use civil unions for the purpose of taxes and other legal matters. So for example a young catholic mixed sex couple would go and get a civil union license to be joined before the law and if they chose to go through the marriage process for the church. For example a same sex couple would apply for a civil union license to be join before the law and if they wanted they could seek out a faith that allows same sex marriage.
    Marriage is for the religion and civil union for the law. If your religion does not allow for same sex marriage, then you deal with your church, but our government should not restrict rights based on religion belief.
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 9:14 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• All of us would have civil unions, not just same sex couples. Marriage for the church, unions for the law.
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 9:16 AM on Jun. 12, 2009