I want my LO (2 years already!) to be more of an adventurous eater, and broaden his food repertoire! what types of foods and spices have you experimented with your children? i need inspiration! thanks to all moms out there!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my 2 year old will eat just about anything! i think daycare really got her started on eating different foods, but at home whatever i put on the table she will atleast try. she likes chicken and yellow rice, hamburger helper, lasagna, baked ziti, red beans n rice with sausage, stuff like that. she still eats her hotdogs and chicken nuggets too. try tasting it in front of him and making it a huge deal, like it's soooo yummy and he should taste it too. maybe if you tell him it's "big boy food" he might feel special if he eats it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:07 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My daughter is not really picky, but she also won't eat just anything.

Nothing is off limits, I have tried pretty much everything that is safe for a 2.5 year old to eat. Sometimes, she doesn't like it, some times she does. Some times, she will like a food one day and refuse to eat it the next.

I say just start experimenting and keep introducing new foods every week. If that is something normal in the house, he will learn to like it.
    kk_bella

Answer by kk_bella at 9:11 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I have always prepared new foods. I just open up a cookbook (I also get cooking magazines) and try those foods. When I do introduce a new food it is usually served with an old favorite. I never make a big deal out of the new food and never say "eat it you'll like it" because that statement will kill any chance for the new food to be tried. Sometimes if my son is shopping with me and he picks up a new food we will try that one just keep introducing new foods all the time and pair them with some old favorites when you can

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:22 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Anything really. Lately we have been exploring fruits. His new favorite is mangos!
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 9:45 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• my son is very adventurous in his eating. since he was about a year old, my husband and I always offer him a bite of what we're having (as long as it's not a choking hazard of course). probably the most unusual things that he's tried and loved are salmon roe sushi and spicy pho (Vietnamese noodles). I can't really think of anything that he will not eat, except for avocados, but we'll keep on trying with those. these days his favorite meal is lemon and asparagus risotto.
    asyoulikeit

Answer by asyoulikeit at 12:31 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My daughter will eat anything. I attribute it to my non picky eating so she got flavored amnio and breastmilk and then when she started solids she was almost immediatly eating curries, chinese, mexican, thai, italian, german, etc. the onlyl thing she won't eat is over cooked vegetables but she will eat them lightly steamed and raw.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:44 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My kids will eat anything! They love avocados especially. They are very mild in flavor have a good texture and you can do anything with them! Just be sure to get your child used to what ever you eat. Don't make separate meals. What you eat he eats. ::unless it's really spicy hot::
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:22 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• By two, he can eat whatever you eat. Just make sure that you are all eating a healthy diet (fruits and veggies, whole grains, legumes) and drinking lots of water.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:04 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• i have given my son some of my sushi, fajitas, thai curries etc. i wanted to make sure he didn't become a picky eater and could eat anywhere, in any restaurant with us. i started him young, by adding a bit of mild spices to his food (cumin, curry, low sodium soy sauce etc) not every meal but at least a few times a week. This means now that there is nothing he won't at least try!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:16 AM on Jun. 15, 2009