Does This Sound Like Postpartum Depression?

I really don't know what qualifies as PPD. I'm hoping someone can tell me if it sounds like I have it. A little history on me... I had a bit of depression as a teen, including some suicidal thoughts, no one except my best friend, now husband, ever knew about it. I did not experience any depression following the birth of my first child. A couple months after my firsts birth I learned I was pregnant again, my second child was born being 1 year younger than my first, and was a preemie. We had a 2 week NICU stay. My baby is now 4 months old. I love him.... but it's really hard sometimes. I've had terrible bouts of depression off and on since his birth. He seems like he is NEVER happy and that I can't do ANYTHING to make him happy. He's always shrieking and it puts my nerves on edge! He makes me feel like either crying or screaming! I've broken down into tears, many, many times. (cont. below)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• (cont.) I feel terrible about it, but sometimes I just feel like shaking him and screaming at him to stop it. I would never really shake him but so many times I've felt like it, and I've been on the verge of just screaming at him before. Sometimes I've even snapped at my 1 year old because of all this and it's TERRIBLE! I just don't know what to do! Does this sound like PPD? I don't have insurance.... I can't see a Doctor... I was on Medicaid for my pregnancy but that ended 6 weeks or so after I delivered. I am SO stressed about all this, I really hope someone here can help me somehow!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• YES you need to call your doctor insurance or not CALL THEM RIGHT NOW.

CALL THE DOCTOR'S OFFICE PLEASE FOR YOUR BABY'S AND YOURSELF.........
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• you posted this last nite and I will say the same thing I said then...GET HELP NOW.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:50 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Yeah. It does sound like you have PPD. There are ways you can get help right away. I would call your Dr that treated your pregnancy and ask him for advice on how you should go about getting treatment. Maybe there's a free clinic in your area you could go to. Please seek help ASAP. Even though you may think you are not capable of harming your child...you can't trust PPD! Seek help ASAP. If there's no way you are going to seek help, make sure you take time for yourself, take walks for alone time, your SO should be helping you out through this. Good luck.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:57 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• ti could be a little PPD but my son had horrible colic and its really really hard to get through. I would ask for HELP! from your mom, friends, anyone you trust because you probably arent' sleeping enough, which adds to the stress but it could be PPD and I would recommend you see someone either way.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:27 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• What you are experiencing is very common, but very very difficult. Please find a doctor that you can trust and get some medications to see you through this time. You do not have to feel this bad,
    Mimi_Rothschild

Answer by Mimi_Rothschild at 2:58 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• There is a Postpartum Support International Help Line...call at 1-800-944-4PPD
    jkt747

Answer by jkt747 at 7:30 PM on Jun. 13, 2009