If you think babies should be breastfed past 1.5 years - do you also think it's okay for other moms to give bottles and pacifiers past that time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Jun. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• well my son was off the bottle and binky at 1 .. so i really dont have an answer for EVERYONE lol ... i just decided to take my son off his at 1 , well a few weeks before his 1st birthday. everyone was shocked to walk in his party and see him drinkin out of my cup and not spilling a drip! lol
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 10:00 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I sure do...When I had my son 13 years ago...I thought you stopped bottles and nursing at one....yet, he still had a pacifier till he was 2. I now believe that kids should get to self wean from all those..
    I do know that research has shown that alot of kids have a non-nutritive sucking need until at least 18 months..and some longer than that.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:05 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• studies show that kids who are breastfed for longer than 9 months, have higher IQ's than baby's who were not breastfed at all, or only breastfed for a lil while. Now, I'm not translating this into bottle fed babies are not smart.....i know some mom's might misinterpret that. There are MANY benefits ti breastfeeding for over 9 months, including a better immune system. I breastfed for 2 years. Loved every minute of it.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:10 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Oh, didn't answer the whole question......

I think it's fine after 1 year. I had a bottle in my hand until i was 3. Other than needing braces....lol.....I consider myself pretty normal..LOL!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:12 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I don't see a problem with it. My son had his bottle till he was 2.5 years old and HE threw it away without prompting. I had mine till I was 4 and I have no problems.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:17 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• The World Health Organization, operating without the influences of the dairy, formula and porn industries (unlike American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months.
    What is the relationship between breastmilk and pacifiers or between breastmilk and bottles (other than a delivery system)?

Answer by rkoloms at 11:09 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• its fine but it just looks weird when your breastfeedin a child who can walk and can sorta talk
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 11:12 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• The two have nothing to do with each other. Breastfeeding is natural and what are kids are meant to do. Bottles and pacies are man made and can cause problems with their tooth alignment and bite.

I breastfed my first for 18 months, but I took her pacifier at 15 months, which is what our pediatrician recommends.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:20 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• The WHO recommends breastfeeding for at least 2yrs. so I do think that is ideal. As for bottles and pacis past 18mos. it is no big deal to me for the most part. If it is interfering w/ their appetite for other foods, causing problems with their speech and/or teeth then I do think they should be limited or eliminated. If parents are putting soda, kool aid, etc. in the bottle then obviously that is not going to be good for the child either. Otherwise, I don't care it is up to the parent and child to decide when to give them up.

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 11:52 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I took both of my kids binkies away the day before their first birthday. I cut a hole in it and they didn't want it anymore, no big deal. I nursed both of them, but with my first one I had to exclusively FF when he was 7 months because my milk dried up due to alot of stress. We started weaning him from the bottle when he was 11 months and by the time he was 12 and a half months, he was done with it. Pacifiers and bottles can ruin a child's teeth and speech development if they're allowed to have them too long.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:11 PM on Jun. 12, 2009