My son just turned 3yrs and still won't eat. He's not picky, he is just not interested and/or shows actual fear of trying anything new to eat. Any suggestions?

TriniMomi

Asked by TriniMomi at 9:53 AM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• remain clam at the table. Do not serve him any junk food at all (I am not saying that you do) it can take up to 9 introductions of a food before kids are no longer suspicious of it. I would have him sit at the table at every meal with you serve him small portions. Having just turned 3 this is a control thing on his part. He is just learning about the world and what he likes and doesn't like. Don't give in by giving him cookies and ice cream out of guilt. If he is hungry He will eat bananas and apples. Be firm about his food choices good luck

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:58 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Let your son help pick out the food at the grocery store and help "prepare" it at mealtime - this also gives him some sense of control over what he's eating. When possible, let him help decide what's for dinner by giving him a choice of 2 things (like a side dish "Should we have rice or mac'n'cheese" or which vegetable "Do you want peas or broccoli?") and let him decide. Make sure you only give choices you can live with, so don't offer something that you don't have or that you won't eat.

Like the PP said, serve small portions. Try to always serve one thing he'll eat, and then one thing new. Keep offering healthy foods and also remember that his eating is based on his needs, not what you want. If he's not hungry now and doesn't want to eat, but wants a snack 30 minutes later, offer him the meal again or a healthy alternative. He needs to learn to listen to his body to learn how to eat healthy.

Good luck!
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:09 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• dontgive him a choice.

you make dinner , i fhe wont eat it, it stays on the table and he can eat it later if he's hungry. ifnot he goes without. he'll eat. either your in chrage or he is
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 12:01 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• When each of my 3 children were your son's age, my dh and I decided that they had to have at least 1 - 2 bites of a new food. As they got older, they would eat the food because the got used to the flavor and decided that they liked it. Now, they are eating as if their stomachs are bottomless pits.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:53 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• DS is doing that lately. He is 3.5 and eats 2 meals and one snack. I think he's just in between growth spurts. But no meal, no snacks. But he will try/eat almost anything. We have the deal too that he just has to try it to see if he likes something. Normally we give him something I know he will eat, then let him try something new from our plate. I do simple/quick meals, so it's not like I'm going way out of my way. Not to mention I'm vegetarian and my boys are not, so I always make something different anyway. Most of the time, he gets a choice of two options. He loves to help prep his meals, which normally leads to him eating what he made.
    jothra

Answer by jothra at 3:37 AM on Jun. 13, 2009