For Christians re: the word "marriage"

This comes from the gay marriage post.

My husband and I are atheists. Since most christians object to gay marriage because "marriage is biblical and being gay goes against god" do you also object to atheists and other non-christians using that term since god and the bible play no part in their union? If no, then why not?

deadheadjen

Asked by deadheadjen at 9:59 AM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am religiously unaffiliated, I think that's a really good question.

writeon

Answer by writeon at 10:02 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I have often used this argument. I was married by the mayor. My marriage is equal to any church wedding in the eyes of the law. It had NOTHING to do with God in any way shape or form... But I am married! Why should it be any different for anyone else? marriage has NOTHING to do with religion!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:07 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Just because I don't believe that gay marriage is not appropriate it doesn't make it any less of a marriage. the definition of marriage is a union between two people. I believe that my marriage is a union under God because I believe in God. Any faith or lack of faith gay or straight can be married as a union between two people just not necessarily 'under God' That's my personal opinion not my faiths.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:41 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• No, I'm speaking of the term "marriage" not the union itself. Do you believe it should be reserved for christians based on the above logic?
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 10:44 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• They can use the word marriage. It does not offend me. Marriage is a general term meaning union I don't think any one group should get full rights to that word. For Pete's sake it's just a word nothing anyone should get their panties in a wad over...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:49 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Tha'ts my opinion too But_Mommie. I just have seen many christians say gays can marry but not use the term and am trying to wrap my brain around why it's not okay for gays to use the term marriage but it's okay for atheists and other non-christians.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 11:00 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• like i said in the other post, marriage is a civil union. no difference. i was married by a judge in the courthouse..and both my dh and i are xtian. we're still xtian,and still married. its a legal ceremony, that some choose to add religious overtones to, when done in a church setting/by a 'man of the cloth'.
    again, if you don't agree with the church's stance on gays/marriage/etc, don't get married in a church, or demand the church accommodate you..or, more importantly, demand separation of church and state, except for this one point of 'law' (wanting to bend the church's leaning/teaching to unite church and state for your union, civil or otherwise.).
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:00 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Even as a Christian I recognize the difference in the concept of a secular, legal marriage issued by the gov't and a Godly, holy marriage issued by the church, which is why I believe the gov't should call it marriage and the church should call it holy matrimony. That way, everyone can have a marriage, like they like, and those who want to feel special can do so knowing that they have a holy matrimony that others don't have.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:15 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I am so tired of these questions! It's as if they are expecting someone to say, "Oh, Gee, I never looked at it that way, I guess all my deep-rooted beliefs that I consistently stand my ground on are completely invalid because I was ignorant and not looking at the whole picture" Pullease! Some people believe that Gay marriage is wrong. Some people think it's okay. Those who think it is wrong are not being ignorant and are not stupid-they just have different beliefs. Why can't we just agree to disagree?!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I agree with hairnazi (paid you back lol).

I'm the exact opposite to you.  My dh and I are atheists and always have been but we were married in a church.  I consider myself to be and I legally am, married!

Gay marriage should be legal (it is here) but it should be up to the individual churches whether they will allow it or not.  There are some very conservative churches but I'm sure that there are some very liberal ones too.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:56 AM on Jun. 12, 2009