can it really work?

i have been told by many people even a dad to just let my dd run around naked from the waste down to potty train her, does this really work?

mommytotaylor

Asked by mommytotaylor at 10:08 AM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• lol idk how that would help?
    mommy2b17MV

Answer by mommy2b17MV at 10:10 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Well my best friend did that with her son and he just went on the carpet. It may work, but you may also be cleaning up a lot of accidents from your floor.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 10:11 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• It'll only work if your DD is ready to potty train/knows what to do. THe reason it works is they are used to going in a diaper, Taking it off helps them remember they aren;t wearing a diaper and when accidents happen they see what is happening while it is happening.
    I know it works I used that method with my DD and within 7 days I was taking her grocery shopping in plain cotton panties. as soon as they see what they are supposed to be doing you can put panties on but I do not suggest pull ups
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 10:26 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• i agree with heather im doing it with my dd now, shes 2, and its been about a week, and she hasnt had an accident or anything, i take her in the car to go to the park or grocery shopping with no diaper it works..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• That's how I trained 2, I haven't really tried with my youngest even though he can and does use the potty (I've been lazy). Yes there can be accidents, but it helps them realise that they get "this" feeling and then "this" happens. Training this way was so much easier then training the traditional way, I wished someone would have told me that with the older ones, it also didn't take as long with the younger ones.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 1:17 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• It worked with mine but then he was ONLY potty trained when he was naked! If you put underwear on him he would pee in them! Every kid is different I guess. With DD I think I will skip the naked time and Pull- ups and go straight to undies.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:19 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My daughter trained that way (except she wore undies, too -- I had read that some people who train their kids bottomless have to start all over once their pants are on)... she was 19 months and not showing may of the readiness signs people talk about, and she did beautifully. We did have plenty of messes to clean up, for about 4-5 days, but then it was done with. What you have to do is move them to the potty as soon as they start to have an accident, reward them when they actually finish on the potty, and remind them that that's where pee and poo go -- in the potty. You focus on learning to keep the pants dry, rather than focusing on "going potty." I think it works because they get the connection... rather than having to sit on the potty for some unknown reason, they learn quickly to associate the potty with it's purpose, and learn the "need-to-go" feeling more quickly. She's still fully trained at 25 months!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:50 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Also, if you go this route, you really cannot go back or use pull-ups (diapers or pull ups for naps or bedtime are still okay if they're not waking up dry, but NOT because you have an errand to run). It has to be, "ok, you go on the potty now, good-bye diapers" because the mixed message is way too confusing. So be prepared to stay home a few days and to clean up some little puddles! I personally thought it was worth it -- my daughter now seems way too old to me to be pooing her pants now that it's done -- but I guess it's not for everyone.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:52 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I think the whole idea behind the running around naked is for two reasons, 1. it is easy and convenient for the child to run into the bathroom and sit down, no pulling pants down, no fasteners,etc. 2. The child will feel the wetness literally running down their legs if they have and accident and most do not like it.
    You can get basically the same effect during the summer by wearing shorts with and elastic waist and regular underpants instead of pull-ups.
    If your child is ready for training, this will be enough. I agree with Emily Susan. I really see pull-ups as glorified diapers and there is no need to start them if the child is ready. If you are going in the car, you can take a potty chair and stop by the side of the road. If you are just starting training, take him on a timed schedule every 40-60 minutes. Don't ask him if he needs to just take him. Reward him for success with something he LOVES!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 10:20 AM on Jun. 13, 2009