How do I get my daughter to sleep in her crib for naps?

My daughter is 7 months old and I have been nursing her to sleep for naps and bedtime her whole life. She usually sleeps in my bed for both. It is getting tough because I have 2 older children who need my attention as well. I am hoping to be able to lay the baby down in her crib and she could fall asleep on her own. This morning I tried nursing her in a dim, quiet room and then laying her down in her bed while she was still awake. I gave her a pacifier, tucked her in, and left. She has been in there for about 10 minutes now, talking and fussing a little bit. Should I leave her until she falls asleep? I'd rather not let her cry herself to sleep, but I want her to learn to fall asleep in her crib.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when she starts to get tired , like her eyes low and things , go lay her in there ... my daughter has a stuffed unicorn and if shes not tired shell hold it and play w/ it until she falls asleep , it never fails -10 minutes later shes asleep .. my daughters 5 months btw
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 10:45 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Well, there's crying and there's CRYING! I wouldn't let her CRY. If it gets to that point, go in there, calm her down and try leaving again. However, fussing and talking can just be her way of self soothing. If she isn't panicked, let her be. She'll fall asleep if she's tired and once she does it once, you'll feel better about letting her do it again. Just be very consistent with bedtime routine and she'll get it eventually.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:20 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• If she is just wimpering and whining and not crying, then just leave her. She will learn to self-soothe and put herself to sleep.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:25 PM on Jun. 13, 2009