Does this make me a bad mommy?

The other morning my 5 yr old dd got up very early, she got leftover pizza out of the fridge and tried to microwave it. Apparently she asked me how long to put it in for, but I wasn't awake. Next thing I hear is Mommy, I think you told me the wrong number smoke is coming out of the microwave! I ran into the kitchen to find it full of smoke and the pizza and paper plate charred. It scared me half to death all the what ifs.

My hubby says not to worry about it, that stuff like this happens. But I feel awful, I feel like the worst mother ever...what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Jun. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No, you're not bad, and good that there wasn't a fire. But even if there was, you're daughter did right and came to tell you, and obviously would had there been a fire. You don't put here in a cave where she'll never learn things. This is fine. There will be more things to come and more things you'll look back on and laugh.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 11:04 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Do NOT beat yourself up! Use this is a learning experience for your little girl (I'm sure she was scared too) to not do it again. She's not too young to use it though, my 5 year old uses ours all the time, but has been taught to by us and her siblings.
    bdotmom

Answer by bdotmom at 10:48 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• No, you're not a bad mommy. You weren't awake and you didn't realize what she was doing and she didn't realize you weren't awake enough to help her. Nobody's fault. Yes, things could have turned out badly, but they didn't. Use this as a learning experience, for both of you: you to know that your daughter wants to be independent and that you need to be prepared, and her to understand that she should make sure you are completely awake before she asks you things like that, and for her to also realize what can happen if she DOESN'T ask permission first. Explain how badly things could have turned out. My kids are allowed to use the microwave, they are 8 & 5, so it's great that you are teaching her to use it, just make sure she understands she always should check with you first, and to make sure you're fully awake before she asks you that question next time. :)
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:54 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• LOL oh no! I did the same thing with leftovers when I was about 6. I didn't even bother waking up my mom.

Every night before you go to bed, set a bowl of cereal out for her and keep a milk in an easy pour container so she can make her own breakfast without having to use the microwave.

:) Don't worry though, ur not a bad mom.
    Mama_Kimmy

Answer by Mama_Kimmy at 11:11 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• You are not a bad mother! Things happen all the time and just be thankful the whole house didnt catch on fire! You cant help it that you were sleeping, sometimes my girls do that to me too, and I dont even remember. I try to get up before them, but sometimes they are just up way to early and come and talk to me and I dont even remember!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• You're fine! Sounds like a lesson in how to use the microwave is in order, though!! LOL
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 11:26 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• relax...no harm no foul...trust me many opportunities will arise for you to screw up way bigger than this one!!! lol
    ivebcummymother

Answer by ivebcummymother at 12:31 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• you are not a bad mommy. Things happen. We are all human, and nobody expects you to be perfect just because you are a mom. And if they do they are insane. Nobody got hurt, so don't worry about it. Just explain to her that next time she wants something to eat she needs to make sure you are completly awake when she asks a question.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 12:39 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Shit happens. My son put our kitten in the microwave! Thank God there was no time remaining on the clock. He was very young. I was putting sheets on his bed when I heard the microwave door shut and the beep of him trying to push start. I though OMG my kid is a psychopath! I am a terrible Mom! He is now 23 and wouldn't hurt a flea.
    Did your smoke alarm go off? I hope so! If it didn't time to check the battery.
    You will be fine Mamma! So will she.
    Tip of the day for all you ladies, always make sure you press the clear/off button on the microwave if you take your food out before the time is up!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:59 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Try putting a little chart of common microwave items next to the microwave, so ur child can have a good idea of what times to put certain foods on. kids like charts i dont know why
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 1:23 PM on Jun. 12, 2009