Did you pick out your own engagement ring? Would you want to?

I know when he's asking me , and I told him to pick out the ring hisself , i only have a few things i would love it to have (white gold and from an actual jewlery store!). But i think it would seem pushy to show him what i would like (not the EXACT ring but something like it, im not going to tell him EXACTLY what to get or anything)-he did say he wants me to show him,but i just think it would seem pushy! He bought me 1 piece of jewlery which was my necklace and i had no say in it , and i love it more than any jewlery i own! ... so i think i trust his judgement to pick it out. plus where he works he has these older women who helped him prepare for the baby (telling him wat to expect) (who he calls his old girlfriends lol),and i think he would ask them for help ... so .. idk lol .. what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• I picked out my engagement ring and I love it! We went looking at rings, and weren't serious about getting engaged I thought. A week or so later he proposed with my ring! It was great.
    ReagansMomy

Answer by ReagansMomy at 10:51 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My husband picked it out himself. It's a white gold, steeple style band with a 1/4 carat marquise cut diamond. I love it. And he got it from a...

...wait for it...

...wait for it...

Pawn shop.

I think it was one of the best things he could've done. Instead of spending thousands of dollars that instead went to buying us our first home, he was smart and got one for only a couple hundred dollars. And no, I don't care in the least that it's second hand. It's beautiful and he did a great job picking it out.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 10:59 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• He went through my best friend. He'd call her and ask her to "be sneaky" and find out what kind of band I liked, what cut of diamond, so on and so forth. I finally just got annoyed and called him and told him what I wanted. I love my ring!
    xCalliex

Answer by xCalliex at 11:00 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My husband picked out the first on and he did a great job and it meant more to me since he did it! then I was allergic to the gold so we have to pick out another set and he asked me what I liked and I showed him and he still picked out the one that he wanted and I love his more than the one that i picked....
    Goingthruitall

Answer by Goingthruitall at 11:04 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• When I was young and getting engaged, my future husband and I went and picked it together.
    My now guy....fiance'...surprised me with an engagement ring. Yuck. It had this big-ass diamond...so not me. haha. We talked about what I like...more to my liking. I have a nice one now...very me.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 11:08 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I have showed him a few stylesthat i like and he has very good taste so i don't worry about it. I have showed him pictures and we have been in plenty of stores. I don't like anything so big that it looks fake. If he has good taste then let him go shop. He just may surprise you.  : )

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 11:08 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I picked out my engagement ring and band and paid for it! He was Christmas shopping with a friend and I was shopping with my sister and he told me to go get what I wanted. He didn't even want to see it. I did make him pick out his own ring though for himself. A few weeks before this he pushed me to a jewelery counter and said go find one. I got upset at that. I am glad that he let me do it because he would have picked out something HUGE and that is not me. I like small rings that don't stick out much because I carry boxes and am a hands on person and the one I have get caught on stuff so I can only image how much of a pain it would have been to have a HUGE ring that he would have picked out.
    jenniferlee_12

Answer by jenniferlee_12 at 11:11 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• He picked out it, the only part I had in it was that I told him I wanted white gold and a square cut diamond. I don't know the appropiate name for the cut but you get it LOL. I love the ring, he went all out on the details of the ring.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 11:26 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I say be a part of picking out your ring. Sometimes guys will pick out something that is too big just because thats what they think we want. I would focus on the quality of the diamond or whatever stone you choose. I have seen some beautiful rings with sapphires or rubies. You can even focus on the design rather than the size of the stone. So yea go for it and get something to suit you and your budget. Have fun.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:32 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I picked out mine. The first one he got me was not my style at all...and we have an open, honest relationship so I told him. He had no qualms about us returning it together and exchanging it. Years later and he's so happy we made the switch.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 11:45 AM on Jun. 12, 2009