Do you have any experience

with growing cucumbers in containers vertically? I have two in a large pot. They are getting big already, I use Miracle Grow once a week and they have really gotten big. I need to find a trellis of some sort for them to grow on so they don't start to spread out. What have you used? Did you get lots of veggies from the plants growing vertical?

salexander

Asked by salexander at 11:03 AM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I've not grown in containers, but I've used chain link fence or chicken wire as support. A trellis or tomato cage would work, although the tomato cage isn't very tall.

When you see signs of blossoms, STOP using Miracle Gro because it encourages foliar growth instead of putting the plant's energy into growing the fruit/vegetable. It's also absorbed by the plant and carried to the roots and I wouldn't want to eat cukes that have absorbed the Miracle Gro. I do the same thing you do -- water them with Miracle Gro until the blossoms form. It gives the plants a great boost!
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:21 PM on Jun. 12, 2009