Puppy's age?

How old does a puppy have to be to leave it's mother? I have had people tell me 6 weeks until 12 weeks. Is it really a bad idea to get a puppy before 12 weeks? The puppy will be over 8 weeks old. If it really needs to be with it's mom until 12 weeks what would the reason be? I want what is best for the puppy, but would like to get it soon as possible.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Pets

• We choose 12 weeks. There's so much that is learned by staying with the pack or origin. There are critical learned behaviours that happen between 6-9 weeks that can be missed. Obviously people get them at younger ages and they fare well too.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 11:17 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I was always told 8 weeks... I Know its a standared alot of people use... friends of our breed cocker spanials and thats how they do it.... We got our puppy when she was seven weeks old tho and she did fine to but waiting a little extra time can only help em not harm em... think of it like babies... Alot of doctors tell you to breastfeed yr child till they are at least six months for optimun benifit but if you breastfeed em longer thats even better :)
    candlefire22

Answer by candlefire22 at 11:22 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• 8 weeks
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 1:16 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• 8 weeks is the youngest I would get a puppy. 12 is preferable but 8 is okay. We got one of ours at 12 weeks and the other at 9 weeks.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:56 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• 8 weeks at the least but longer is better. they learn so much from their mothers and siblings of course if the mother is aggressive and has bad habits the 8 wks would be better. i was forced to get mine at 7 wks i didn't want to and i see the bad habits she had already learned or was never properly taught by mother cause we was taken away from mother at 6 wks.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:03 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• We got our dog at 6 weeks and she is a well adjusted loving dog... We've always gotten our animals at 6 weeks. Kittens and puppies alike... I've heard 12 weeks is best. But I think they are fine if its earlier.
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 8:35 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• We got ours from the pound when she was 8 weeks. That is the youngest they will let puppies be before making them available for adoption.
    danyle02

Answer by danyle02 at 2:12 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• at weeks is the soonest, the longer the puppy can stay with its mother the better. they get antibodies from their mothers milk which can make them a lot healthier then those pups who have been taken from their mother sooner.
    USAF.Wife

Answer by USAF.Wife at 8:28 PM on Jun. 13, 2009