How Do You Do It?!

Okay, so I am basically a single parent during the week and some weekends. My husband stays out of down for his work. I just started back at my job where I was working before I had my son and I have to work both days and nights since it is retail. I have my son in daycare and they don't close til 5:30pm, but I am having a hard time finding someone to watch him at night. I don't have a lot of money and all the sitters that could watch him want more than I can afford when I am paying $130/week in daycare fees. His grandmother watches him the days she is off, but like this next week, I close 5 nights out of 7 and do not know what I am going to do about someone watching him til I get off at 9pm. How do you single parents do it when you have as limited help as I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Jun. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• In the summer I usually have a few teens I can count on. They are cheaper than a day care and maybe their families would have your child at there house sometimes. Check with local churches and possibly put a flier up. the secretary may give you a few names of families that have babysitting age kids. My dd is 7 so it is easier to leave her with babysitters, but even kids as young as 14 can watch babies if they are responsible. A college age girl would work too. thye may only have classes during the day and would like to work a few nights.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:50 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• It's never easy finding child care at night. I had to do it for 3 kids. Try the high schools. Sometimes they have kids in band or cheerleading that need money and they come with references. I found someone at a local college to help with mine. I called the Financial Aid dept and they posted it on the bulletin board. That worked for me until I could switch shifts and work days only.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:15 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Maybe you could find a daycare (or a home daycare) that has different hours so that you could just leave him at the same place for your whole shift, no matter what your hours that week? My mom used to do that with us, she'd open one week and close the next so it was kinda the same.
    kttycat84

Answer by kttycat84 at 12:16 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I found a job that allowed me to be a parent first, employee second. If your employer can not work with you, I would seriously look into new employment with an employer who respects the needs of employees and their families and is willing to work with YOUR schedule, not JUST theirs. I do office work to ensure I'm home every evening, but sometimes I have to work in the evenings; however, I can work from home to ensure that I'm still here for my son and I don't need additional baby-sitting costs. It seems that so many people feel they have to live by their employers demands, but if they won't work WITH you, then they don't deserve you. Respect yourself andyour families needs - if the company can't respect your needs, then do they deserve you?
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 1:32 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• i agree. they are working you to the bone having that many hours. they need to realize that you have a child, and kids always come first, working all day? thats crazy unless its some high paying high stress corporate job.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 2:27 PM on Jun. 12, 2009