does administrative leave usually mean you're fired?

my husband is on administrative leave now for 2 days, do you think he's fired? they we're investigating money being stolen from his register, do you think he's fired now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• Administrative leave usually applies when the employer needs to conduct an investigation pertaining to an act by the worker or accusation made-- usually before discipline is involved. Most cases of application involve collective bargaining agreements or a government job pursuant to an employment contract.

I have seen situations where the investigation results in no action to the worker, so simply because one is placed on administrative leave doens't mean they're fired.

If your husband is guilty of theft, then he's got bigger problems than being fired. His employer is likely to turn the evidence they gather-- which is not subject to usual criminal procedure/investigation over to the prosecutor's office.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:24 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• If they determine he took the money he will be fired and probably will be prosecuted. They will investigate then let him know what they came up with. If he stole he has no one to blame but himself. If he left his register unattended and someone else stole he is irresponsible. Seems he is screwed either way. Hopefully, he is learning a valuable lesson right now about responsibility or how he should not steal.
    Anonymous

• Oh dear, poor guy. I am sorry to hear you and he are having this problem. I hope that it is found that he is not fired. It's tough being a person using a cash register. The customer often won't tell if you'd given them too much, but they always mention if you haven't given them enough in change. I am assuming he did not steal. He may need a refresher on good procedure when running a register- such as never put away the bills that the customer handed you until you have given them the change, so if they say no I gave you a $50 not a $20, then you have the bill sitting right there.

Answer by Bmat at 3:33 PM on Jun. 12, 2009