terrible 2's!

my son is almost 2 and he is already throwing tantrums! when we go in the store ill let him walk sometimes and when i pick him up or sometimes when i hold his hand he will scream so loud. he loves to scream every where we go , so me or my husband will smack him on his hand but he will still scream. when he dont get his way he will bang his head or kick his feet and cry or scream. what can i do to get him to stop?

wildcatsgurl06

Asked by wildcatsgurl06 at 11:49 AM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just ignore him. The more attention you give him, the more he will think it's cool to do. Let him scream and scream, and just stand there until he's done. Then calmly ask him 'are you done now?' and continue on your way. It works for my daughter well.

I know exactly how you feel about being embarrassed - I'd suggest taking him to the store when he is FULL and after he's had a nap. Also, taking him to the store when it's slow- like tuesday afternoon at like 2 o clock will make you less worried about people looking at you.
    weezer_cookie

Answer by weezer_cookie at 12:00 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Leave the store.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:36 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My DD has hit some terrible 2 tantrums at only 17 mo! I do not have much experience w/ them since ours have only been going on for a month or so & they are still only here & there. I just read an article that the reason young kids throw these tantrums is b/c they do not have the words to express how they feel. I have begun to stress feeling to my DD telling her when she is happy/mad/frustrated/sad/scared/upset/etc. in hopes that she'll pick up how to say she's upset to me or something. Also the article said that u should say things like "I understand ur frustrated but we r in a public place...." relate to the fact that ur child is upset. This approach has worked kinda/sorta so far for us but again my DD is only 17 mo. so its still hard to talk to her sometimes but I am training myself to be calm & explain things out to her. I hope this may be of some help.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 12:48 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My mother told me: It's not the terrible 2's it the terrible 1's 2's 3's 4's all the way up to 18. It doesn't get better it just gets different! I am finding this to be to true... uhg. what have i gotten my self into! lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:11 PM on Jun. 12, 2009