• In the Spotlight:

Is it OK to try and encourage labor naturally at 37 weeks?

My doctor said I'm term, my cervix is VERY soft, I'm dilated to 1 cm and 50% effaced.

I've been having soft stools for 4 days now and I had bloody show a couple of days ago with my mucus plug.

I am trying to be as patient as possible but I'm so uncomfortable. I literally cried for hours last night because I was having so much pelvic pressure that it was quite painful. Also my blood presure has been climbing at every appointment so that's a concern as well.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i'm sorry to hear that! i went through the same as you, and remained 50% effaced and 2 cm dilated for 3 weeks. as long as the doctors don't see your blood pressure as a threat to you or the baby, they won't induce until 41 weeks, atleast that's how it worked for me. but you could definitely try some natural things to get things going.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:54 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I think it would be ok. Just do it naturally, no castor oil! You can do nipple stimulation, accupressure, and you can sit on a ball and rotate your hips in circles. It helps thin the cervix.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I wouldn't try. Let it happen naturally. Your baby deserves to stay in.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Just let it happen all the pain and suffering is all well worth it in the end LOL. Just walk a lot, your baby will come when she/he is ready.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 12:11 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

Babe587

Answer by Babe587 at 12:25 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I would not do anything. Let your baby come on his/her own. I understand that you are uncomfortable, but due dates can be off and your baby may not be ready to face the world yet and you want a healthy baby dont you? Just let nature take it's course.
    LandonsMa0403

Answer by LandonsMa0403 at 1:11 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• No. The last few weeks are super uncomfortable, but it's only temporary. Stick it out and let your baby come in his own time.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:05 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• No, the last weeks are important, if you're baby is ready to be born it will come on its own.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:40 AM on Jun. 15, 2009