do you and SO share yall's income for personal expenses or is it your money goes to your shopping/hair/nails/ect and his money goes to the bills/his shopping/ect

my previous relation we were very very broke.. this one we most certainly aren't.. i just moved in and he's on a out of town job until december... of course right now im not going to go off and spend his money, we aren't married... but i was just wondering what was normal and wasn't normal.. just being curious :)

thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think everyone handles their finances differently depending on what works for them. My husband works and I stay home (although I do some very part time work). I manage the bank accounts and pay the bills each month, but we both have access to our accounts/money via ATM/debit cards. We don't have to ask each other's permission to go shopping or to lunch or treat ourselves to things, but we do discuss larger purchases because that is what couples should do I think.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:05 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• DF and I have been engaged and living together for a few years and we mainly use the money he earns from work to pay bills. The money I earn from work is put in our savings account for trips, vacations, and other fun stuff.

Before that, it was pretty much the same because we sat down and discussed our finances and decided that it was the best route for us. I would suggest talking with your SO about the finances and see what is okay with him and what is okay with you and the both of you agree on a financial plan.
    Mina2904

Answer by Mina2904 at 12:08 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• We share everything. So we figure out how much we make per month, deduct expenses, then figure out what's left over. We contribute immediately to our retirement. If we have projects we need to budget for (like a new roof this summer) or other additional costs, we deduct that as well. Then we take whatever is left over and add to our retirement. We usually also budget in $250 a month for each of us in "frivolous" monies-- we can each spend it on whatever we want-- no questions or criticism from the other. Sometimes I go to the spa. Sometimes I save it and buy something really nice, like jewelry.

So the short answer is no-- I don't spend the money I earn on just me. It would seem unfair and irresponsible. After all, he deserves to be just as frivolous and shouldn't have to shoulder the burden of the entirety of the expenses.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:09 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• me and my husband have seperate accounts but pay bills together, shop together, do everything together. we have different accounts because we handle our accounts differently. i use checks and he uses a debt card. if we had a joint account we would be over drawling all the time
    MommyLeary

Answer by MommyLeary at 12:09 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• We share everything...we have several account but we are both on them all. I think the exception to that is the kids and I think I am on with the kids not sure if he is. I can spend whatever I want so long as the bills are paid. Since I am Psycho about the bills being paid 2 months in advance..it's pretty easy. We both have debit cards and have a set amount that has to stay in our savings accounts at all times as well as a set amount that has to be added to the savings accounts out of each pay check. (that's done automatically) so 401K, emergency fund(s), college etc is taken care of...bills are handled and whats left is fun money.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 12:21 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• We have a budget for groceries and what not and that amount goes into a joint account (I am the only one working while he stays at home). We also have a monthly allowance that we both get and it is transferred into 2 seperate accounts that are in individul names only. That account it where the hair/nails/clothes/etc comes out of.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:26 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I am a stay at home mom, i spend whatever i need to spend cause hubby is gone but i don't waste money on doing my nail or my toes when i can do it myself so really i save money there and i don't need to be dolled up every day, i live on a farm so really my hands get dirty. my hubby shares money with me and credit cards so really if i want something i will just buy it and i do put his paychecks in the bank for him and i do the bills but the funny thing is i really don't look at how much money we have cause i feel like i am peeking at something that isn't my busness
    Anonymous

• We blend our money. We spend what we need, he pays the bills, and we talk over any major purchases to be made. When it comes to little things like household items it really doesn't matter but we never make uni-lateral financial decissions when it comes to the big stuff.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:55 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I am a WAHM and make TuTu's and accessories for babies, toddlers and girls so the extra money I get is extra for my kids and I to go shopping, playdates, to the movies and different activities while my Husband is at work that way I don't tap into our savings. He pays all the bills but also sets money aside each month for himself to go golfing or guys stuff and also sets money aside for us to do things as a family. I have always worked outside the home until about 6 months ago and at first I felt like I had to ask for what I wanted and hated not having my own income. But since I make the extra income I don't feel that way and it really works for us.
    mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 12:58 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• From the moment my husband proposed and moved in with me we shared "our" money. We both had jobs and he started depositing his paychecks into my checking account and I paid all of my bills with our combined account and he took money out to make payments on his truck and insurance (his only bills). He wanted to do this.
    As soon as we got back from our honeymoon I went and had him added to my checking account so he could actually use it. A couple months later I quit my job and we had just 1 income. I'm still a SAHM. He works and I used to pay all the bills. If anything he asked me if he could spend money because I knew how much we had but it was never his money; it has always been "our" money.
    If by some chance we have leftover money after bills we use it for whatever we want (stuff for the kids, games for him, scrapbooking stuff for me). I usually ask him if there is enough now since he takes care of the money now.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:24 PM on Jun. 12, 2009