Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What kind of work can a mother of a disabled child do?

Since all of their time is use to take care of the child who need intense care 24/7. Any ideas?


Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • It's certain that you have many skills. Have you tried some of the groups for SAHM who want to work from home? I've talked with some and they seem to have great ideas. I personally don't work so haven't had the need to check them all out but have listened to some. I'm always skeptical but found some to sound like they might be productive. You could also contact your local state employment office and talk to an employabilities skills counselor and see what skills you have correspond to positions that might be available. If there is school or clinic for the type of disability your child has ask there what other caregivers do for work. I'm assuming you already get disability checks for your child. Is there a check that is given to the caregiver for providing that care? IDK, I'm just asking.

    Answer by admckenzie at 12:12 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

  • I do believe people with physically disabled children should get paid to care for their children, otherwise some states do provide funds for care outside the home, why not pay the parent to save on transportation etc. That is a difficult situation and I would seek out resources online in your area for parents of children with disabilities. I would imagine it would require a good support system.

    Answer by writeon at 12:11 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

  • I'm assuming you already get disability checks for your child.

    No we don't get any checks. We make 34,820.00 annually after taxes. For the government we make to much money to require assistance.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

  • Please disregard any typos. OP

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

  • What about caring for other children? I would investigate home day care.

    Answer by teamquinn at 12:29 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

  • teamquinn Actually I did search about this and I'm going for a 2 day training so I can take care of other disable children in their homes. I hope everything goes well. The only problem is that they want people who could work after school hours. But I'm taking the training anyhow.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

  • writeon thank you so much. It is always nice to hear words of recognition.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

  • Why not look in to something you can do from home a few hours a day. I work from home and my "LONG" days are about 4-5 hours... But normally I work about 3.

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:48 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

  • Sabrina I'm sure I'm not the only who has experience this so I'm going to go ahead and tell you I send a check of $50 to start working assembling earrings as a home-base business but unfortunately I was scammed so that was it. But thank you so much. Believe I'm not being difficult I'm just considering the facts.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

  • I have two resumes posted on 2 job hunting websites but last interview I had they need it someone to work on Saturdays. I don't have anyone to take care of my son. I've been put on the waiting list for respite and even if I got it they will only provide 4 hours maximum.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN